Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters (Installation Failed)

Spatify
Novice

Hi guys i tried to update my wireless adapters atm but it says installation failed. Anyone know this issue or have a fix thank you

1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we are currently investigating this behavior. If you need to update the Wireless driver, in the meantime you may try these steps:

1- Download, save, and unzip the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package file to a designated location or folder.

Make sure you are downloading the proper version based on your Operating System. (For instance, for Windows® 10 64bit should download WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip file):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29787/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?wapkw=wireless

2- Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver following these steps:

2.1- Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver:

2.1.1- Go to Device Manager.

2.1.2- Expand the Network Adapters category.

2.1.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

2.1.4- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

2.1.5- Repeat steps 2.1.1 through 2.1.5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

Note:

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preinstalled on your system. These types of drivers can't be uninstalled (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after performing the uninstall process. The video in the link below provides additional details on inbox drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

2.2- Restart your computer.

3- Manual Driver installation:

3.1- Go to Device manager

3.2- Expand the Network Adapters category

3.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and click on Update

3.4- Click on Browse my computer for driver software

3.5- Click on Browse and look for the unzipped folder downloaded for IT driver in step 1

3.6- Click on Select and Click Next, then Windows® should install the driver.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Additional information:

1- If using Intel® Driver and Support Assistance after the installation is done Go and Click on Refresh results to check if the installation was successfully completed. 

2- The update package indicates the installation driver package and the driver version refers to the actual driver for each wireless adapter. For instance, driver package version 21.110.1.1 includes the following: 

• 21.110.1.1 for AX201/AX200/9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.18.2 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.30.1 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168

Note:

If after updating the driver, those community members that are reporting different issues like Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, performance issues, etc; we kindly recommend to capture all the details and error codes and to either contact Intel® Customer Support directly in your local region within normal business hours using the below link or to submit a new thread since we need to isolate different issues/behaviors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

84 Replies
huangxiao
Novice
Well, i am trying to do what you say, but i spend too much time on install driver in safe mode, how long did you spend on it?
0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice
Unfortunately, i still get BSOD after i install driver under safe-mode.
0 Kudos
BartonUK
Novice

Looking at the .EXE installation log, no mention of "config.xml" being extracted in 21.110.1. Does the config.xml matter to the extraction?

v 21.110.1

05/08/2020 16:15:49 : [Debug] Main()
05/08/2020 16:15:49 : [Debug] args =
05/08/2020 16:15:49 : [Standard] Extracting content.zip from assembly
05/08/2020 16:15:49 : [Standard] Extracting ZIP file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\d02dd6c0-5f7a-4296-819b-7c9910b8466f\content.zip

v 21.90.3

05/08/2020 16:46:32 : [Debug] Main()
05/08/2020 16:46:32 : [Debug] args =
05/08/2020 16:46:32 : [Standard] Extracting content.zip from assembly
05/08/2020 16:46:32 : [Standard] Extracting config.xml from assembly
05/08/2020 16:46:32 : [Standard] Extracting ZIP file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\03c6fda2-b3f5-4c4e-84b6-88215609a433\content.zip

0 Kudos
Asfyxia
Beginner

I've tried downloading the installer of the wireless adapter but it still won't run? I tried administrative runs and it doesn't want to download..

0 Kudos
Domi6
Beginner

@Asfyxia you could try what I did  and see if it solves the problem.

0 Kudos
mark234
Novice

i am waiting for intel support  to solve the issue , i do not want to experiment and destroy something

0 Kudos
James_I
Novice
The fix is manually installing the Pro driver that you download. No experiment required.
0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I

Same problem here... I have alot of wifi/bluetooth related BSOD lately, so i would like to fix this.. 

0 Kudos
Spatify
Novice

I hope intel support notice our thread. 

JorisNL
New Contributor I

FYI: 

• Rebooting in safe-mode and installing, doesn't work either.
  • Downgrading to an earlier driver and installing new driver over that one, also not successful.

0 Kudos
BartonUK
Novice

Double click, run as Admin, then nothing. Even rolled back and installed over the old driver. Uninstalled all older drivers, still nothing.

Don't like attaching system info with IP stuff inside.

0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

I also get BSOD after the latest driver (version 21.110.1) installed.

Windows reported me {
        Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ;

What Failed: Netwtw10.sys
}

bsod.jpg

0 Kudos
sepp
Novice

But you where able to install it at all!?

huangxiao
Novice

Yes, i can install this version directly.

0 Kudos
sepp
Novice

Did you run WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe, or was it 32?

0 Kudos
huangxiao
Novice

Yes, i run this file directly.
By the way, what is your system version? My system version is 19042.423 which is in windows beta channel update.

0 Kudos
francesm
Beginner

Not at all. Not able to install at all! I have given up trying.

0 Kudos
JorisNL
New Contributor I

I was hoping this driver to help with the following BSOD's:

• dpc watchdog violation
  • kernel security check failure
  • kernel auto boost lock acquisition with raised irql
  • system service exception

But the fact that you could even install this is 'strange'. I could not even install this.. 

0 Kudos
Oshten
Beginner

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. 

0 Kudos
DavidO_Intel

Hello All,

Thanks for sharing your concerns about the driver 21.110.1 installation problem. We are investigating and will update when possible.

Could you please share any details about the configuration used.

As example:

Brand and model

WiFi adapter version

OS version #

Previous base driver installed 

Antivirus

In the mean time we recommend you to go back to previous version of the driver (21.90.3):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

thank you

Intel Wireless support 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we are currently investigating this behavior. If you need to update the Wireless driver, in the meantime you may try these steps:

1- Download, save, and unzip the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package file to a designated location or folder.

Make sure you are downloading the proper version based on your Operating System. (For instance, for Windows® 10 64bit should download WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip file):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29787/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?wapkw=wireless

2- Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver following these steps:

2.1- Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver:

2.1.1- Go to Device Manager.

2.1.2- Expand the Network Adapters category.

2.1.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

2.1.4- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

2.1.5- Repeat steps 2.1.1 through 2.1.5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

Note:

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preinstalled on your system. These types of drivers can't be uninstalled (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after performing the uninstall process. The video in the link below provides additional details on inbox drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

2.2- Restart your computer.

3- Manual Driver installation:

3.1- Go to Device manager

3.2- Expand the Network Adapters category

3.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and click on Update

3.4- Click on Browse my computer for driver software

3.5- Click on Browse and look for the unzipped folder downloaded for IT driver in step 1

3.6- Click on Select and Click Next, then Windows® should install the driver.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Additional information:

1- If using Intel® Driver and Support Assistance after the installation is done Go and Click on Refresh results to check if the installation was successfully completed. 

2- The update package indicates the installation driver package and the driver version refers to the actual driver for each wireless adapter. For instance, driver package version 21.110.1.1 includes the following: 

• 21.110.1.1 for AX201/AX200/9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.18.2 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.30.1 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168

Note:

If after updating the driver, those community members that are reporting different issues like Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, performance issues, etc; we kindly recommend to capture all the details and error codes and to either contact Intel® Customer Support directly in your local region within normal business hours using the below link or to submit a new thread since we need to isolate different issues/behaviors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician