Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Wireless-AC 7265 5GHz not working in windows 8.1

JBerg14
Novice

Hello

Running Windows 8.1 (x64), tried drivers 17.13.11 and 17.1.0. The problem is, i cannot see any 5GHz networks using windows list of wifi networks or SSID scan tool (inSSIDer). I can see multiple SSID's including my own on the 5GHz band on my other devices. I just got the 7265 card yesterday.

I have tried a bunch of things, including a fresh install of windows and the stuff in the support section on intel website (adapter settings for optimal performance etc). Nothing works!

netsh says my card has "802.11a" and "802.11ac" capability in windows, which seems fine.

It almost seems like there is something turning off the 5GHz radio on the card in windows.

Since the card is new, i thought there might be a hardware issue, i.e. 5GHz radio broken.

However i tried booting from a linux live USB stick, in this environment i can see 5GHz networks, i can connect to my own 5GHz network and i get AC link rates (400-800mbit) and high transfer speeds (100mbit+). This was on ubuntu 14.04LTS. So there should be no hardware failure or hardware incompatibility issue.

Anyone have any tips? Is there any kind of power saving mechanism (or similar) in windows that's capable of turning off only the 5GHz radio? The 2.4GHz radio works fine.

67 Replies
SBrun5
Novice

Any chance someone from Intel could comment on this? Having the same issue (rev_12) and frankly am quite surprised about this. Thank you.

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dextrosan, popoval

Please know that revision changes are really minor and they are applied to comply with regulatory rules so there is no substantial changes in the way that the adapter works.

popoval, if you are located in Russia, we recommend that you check the regulatory rules in this country for further information on the usage of AC speeds.

0 Kudos
SBrun5
Novice

Hi Aleki, thank you for your answer. I just find it strange that my adapter works (meaning 5GHz) with an older driver and doesn't with the latest one... Are there any steps I could do to track the problem?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Dextrosan,

There will be a new driver release very soon. It will have fixes and improvements for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. We recommend that you wait a little bit.

You will find the new driver in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Intel® Download Center when it is released.

0 Kudos
SBrun5
Novice

Ok, will do. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

That's good news. Hopefully, it will resolve the AC band issue.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dextrosan,

You are very welcome !

0 Kudos
SBrun5
Novice

Hi Aleki, just letting you know that the recent driver update did not solve the problem. Still no 5GHz networks visible for revision 12 card.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Dextrosan,

At this point that you have tried all the solutions provided here and still showing no satisfactory results we recommend that you contact your nearest Intel Contact Center for live troubleshooting. Our technicians will be more than glad to assist you. Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Anyone update to Windows 10 yet? I did the upgrade on my tablet but I'm waiting for my replacement card this week.

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

Hope the new driver will solve this issue. But I decided not to wait and replaced the card to the same Wireless-AC 7265 but now with revision 33. And after that everything works like a charm! With current driver (v. 17.16) I can see 5GHz network and connection speed varies between 650 and 866 Mbit/sec. So, the revision does matter! And definitely something is wrong with revision 12 (at least with some part of the cards with this revision).

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Where did you get the rev 33 card and how much was it? I may just do the same thing. What device is yours installed in?

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

On eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301561369449?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265 7265NGW NGFF Card 802 11AC 867M 2x2 WiFi BT4 0 | eBay) from ny-compu-tek. My laptop is Acer Aspire V3.

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Awesome thanks. Did they verify the rev number for you?

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

No, I did it on my own risk... but finally it works.

0 Kudos
MRams2
Beginner

Got my Rev 33 card installed today and works like a charm with the latest drivers.

0 Kudos
ary
Beginner

AC 7265 dual band rev 12.

The same behavior with ucode newer than 8 (9-15 ucode don't see 5ghz .doesn't matter if router in HT80 or in HT40+.cisco AP or any others) on linux.the same on windows 8.1 on new drivers.

0 Kudos
APopo3
Novice

Just curious, has anybody who suffer from this Rev 12 problem, installed Windows 10? Has or has not this resolve the problem?

0 Kudos
SBrun5
Novice

Hi, Windows 10 does not resolve the problem unfortunately.

0 Kudos
KShig1
Beginner

Windows7 x64, The rev.12 at 5GHz don't work with " Wireless_18.32.0_Driver64_Win7.exe" yet.

It works fine with "Wireless_17.0.0_Ds64.exe".

0 Kudos
DMape
Beginner

I just loaded the latest driver and it resolved the issue for me. 18.21.0.2 was generated 9/24/2105. I am on Windows 10 running on a Lenovo T450. First time I have had 5G in q very long while.

0 Kudos