FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5745 Discussions

Stratix 10 Dual-Port RAM (with 2 clocks) generation problem

Amir_Nassie
Beginner

Hi,

i'm converting my Stratix V design to Stratix 10.

in Stratix V i used the MegaWizard in quartus (13.1 i think) to create an SRAM with:

• 2 read+write ports
  • 512 rows of 128bits each (same data bus width on both ports)
  • different clock for each of the ports
  • byte_enable support on both ports

using QuarusPro "IP Catalog" i tried to get the same SRAM functionality.

i used the "memory user guide" from Intels website

at section 4.1.3. RAM: 2-PORT Intel FPGA IP Parameters

In the optional clocking schemes for the generated SRAM.

There is an option for different clocks for the 2 ports (A & B)

Amir_Nassie_0-1606138951592.jpeg

When I try to generate the SRAM in the IP Catalog. I configure the parameters as follows :

Amir_Nassie_1-1606138951630.jpeg

Then

Amir_Nassie_2-1606138951670.jpeg

And then

When coming to select the clocking scheme, I do not see the suggested option by the DOC.

If selecting "Customize clocks for A and B ports"

I can not use byte_enable on the ports

Amir_Nassie_3-1606138951766.png

please advise.

Best Regards,

Amir Nassie

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you look into https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-memory... Table 10, it will shows that Stratix 10 does not support True Dual Port with byte enable features.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I think there's a disconnect between the documentation and the parameter editor.  I believe that the "Customize" option is what you need to select, but are you saying that when you do that, the byte_enable options for the two ports that you show in your last screenshot disappear?  I don't have the software open at the moment to check this.

Amir_Nassie
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for the help.

yes, i agree regarding the possibly misleading documentation. (who is authorized to approve that?)

regarding the "Customize clocks for A and B ports",
yes it is impossible to generate byte_enable for the ports.

when selecting such clocking scheme i get the below error :

Error: stx10_fpga_dpmram512x128.ram_2port_0: In 'Clks/Rd, Byte En' tab, 'Emulate TDP dual clock mode' must be enabled if clocking method is 'Customize clocks for A and B ports' for Stratix 10 while using two read/write ports.

So I'm adding the TDP emulation check mark.

Then I select to have byte_enable (for port A for example)

And get the below error

Error: stx10_fpga_dpmram512x128.ram_2port_0: In 'Clks/Rd, Byte En' tab, 'Byte Enable Ports' are unavailable while using 'Emulate TDP dual clock mode' feature.

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to use "Dual Clock: use separate 'input' and 'output' clocks" setting.

Amir_Nassie
Beginner

Thanks,

but how do i get the 2 read+write ports (each in a different clock domain) functionality ?

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you look into https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-memory... Table 10, it will shows that Stratix 10 does not support True Dual Port with byte enable features.

View solution in original post