FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5881 Discussions

Why there's no clock on afi_clk output of the Hard DDR3 Memory Controller, although clock on pll_ref_clk input is present?

MEmel1
Beginner

I've a problem running DDR3 HMC on Cyclone V SoC Development Board. I instantiated HMC megafunction in schematic top level file, made mem_ pin assignments, connected pll_ref_clk pin to CLK_BOT1 board clk which provides 100MHz, made successful compilation and trying to read/write data using Avalone MM interface. But HMC makes no responce and there's no clock on afi_clk, which suppose to run at 400MHz, according to the settings.

What could be the reason for that?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Dear MEmel1,

For first step, I recommend you to generate the board test system example design in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-cy... and compare your design setting with the golden design.

Thanks

Regards,

NAli1

MEmel1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, NAli1,

I actually did that. Basically I set the same settings in my megafunction as in fpga_sdram Qsys component of the reference design. The differences are only in chip/board timing constrains, in physical chip interface width (reference design uses two DDR3 chips as opposed to mine which uses one), and in Avalone MM interface width. But I can't see how are these differences relevant to the complete absence of UniPHY generated clock (afi_clk). The clock settings are the same as are the pin assignments.

I was going to check the same afi_clk clock in reference design, but run into another trouble using Qsys: i can't export component pin which is also used internally. It's avaliable ether for internal use, or for export.

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What is your indication that afi_clk is not running?

You can get any interface out of a Platform Designer system by adding in a bridge component and exporting the extra interface. You'd use a clock bridge component for this, but since you are using the hardened interface, I don't know if it's possible to connect that back to soft FPGA logic.

Are you seeing the user clock coming from the IP?

BoonT_Intel

Hi, If you trace the RTL, you can see the afi_clk is direct connect from the PLL out_clk port.

So, the only reason why no clock is due to PLL is lose lock.

Can you monitor is the PLL_LOCK signal assert?

MEmel1
Beginner

--- Quote Start ---

You can get any interface out of a Platform Designer system by adding in a bridge component and exporting the extra interface. You'd use a clock bridge component for this, but since you are using the hardened interface, I don't know if it's possible to connect that back to soft FPGA logic.

--- Quote End --- 

Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind for future Qsys usage.

--- Quote Start ---

Hi, If you trace the RTL, you can see the afi_clk is direct connect from the PLL out_clk port.

So, the only reason why no clock is due to PLL is lose lock.

--- Quote End --- 

That piece of advice was very helpful, thank you. On RTL view I noticed that PLL's reset is inverse. There's a standart inverse symbol on PLL reset pin.

I guess, on top level schematic view leter "n" at the end of megafunction reset pin name ( global_reset_n) stands for "negative" and means the same.

That was a bit unexpected :-)

Turns out, I 've keeping the controller in reset all the time, no wonder everything seemed dead.

So far so good, the afi_clk is running now :-)

BoonT_Intel

Good to know!😄