FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Deo Nano SoC has code at start up.

DKirv
Beginner

I have a Deo Nano SoC connected to a PCB with several LEDs. I have a simple is it alive test. In one of me processes, I have the following code.

screen_shot : process(CLK)
begin
if rising_edge(CLK) and gate >=1 then
-- gate is a placement value. There is a 5 sec delay between gate 1 and gate2

timer100 <= timer100 + 1;
if timer100 = 100000000 then -- 100 000 000 = 1 second
t100 <= not t100;
timer100 <= (others => '0');
end if;

elsewhere, I have the following:

tst_led(3) <= t100;

This code causes my test_led(3) to blink as it should.  No problems there.

I am using Quartus Programmer to load the compiled code into the Deo.

Here is the issue, If I unplug the Deo from power and disconnect the two USP cables, wait about 5 seconds, connect power and connect the two USP cables, the test_led(3) will continue to blink as if the program were loaded.

Note, I did not start the Quartus Programmer.

How does the code get loaded? How do I control this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I presume you mean USB, not USP.

If you flashed the onboard flash memory with your design (.pof file probably) instead of programming the FPGA directly with a .sof file, then the FPGA would be programmed on power-up.

How did you last program/configure the device?

0 Kudos
DKirv
Beginner

0001.jpg

It appears to be a .sof file that is loaded. See Image. I am in JTAG mode.

0 Kudos
DKirv
Beginner

The hardware Setup... is DE_SoC [USB-1].

The hardware was not connected when image was captured.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you mean that you program the code to your board and disconnect it after? Did you reset your board after you program the board?

What file did you program to the board? .sof/.pof etc.

0 Kudos
DKirv
Beginner

I programmed the *.sof file to the board. I physically removed my Deo Nano Soc board from the system. All connections were removed from the board. The D-N-S board was reinstalled into my system which consists of a PCB with LEDs, opto-isolators and connectors to other equipment. The test LED on the board started to blink per the previous code listed when power was applied. The D-N-S board was not flashed after start-up. The board will not operate fully until the *.soc file is flashed. However, the test LED will blink per the code without being flashed.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Did you previously flash the board before programming the board with the .sof? You may need to erase the flash so it does not have previous programming file on it that may have interfere with the board. I am suspecting this is the case.

0 Kudos