FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

"CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1" - Arria 10 FPGA Dev Kit

KSmil
Beginner

I have been testing a design on an Arria 10 FPGA Dev Kit which uses the FMCA connection to send/receive signals between a couple of other designs on other development cards.

The Arria 10 no longer loads configures correctly. The red LED lights up after configuration. The device is visible through the JTAG chain, and when I try to program it with a SOF file it gets roughly 85% of the way though before showing the following error:

" Error 209014: CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1. Make sure all communication cales are securely connected, select a different device, check the power on the target system or make sure all nCE pins are connected to GND. "

I was checking some output signals that I had added to the design with an oscilloscope at the time, with the ground connected to the FMCA ground pin. However, I'm pretty sure this would not have caused the issue.

I have checked all the supplies I am able to with a scope, and they all appear to be okay. The Vccpgm supply used by the CONF_DONE pin is okay. The POR circuitry also seems to suggest that the power supplies are okay.

I am a little stumped at the moment, so if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi KSmil,

Are you referring the red LED to D16 LED? The D16 LED is just an indicator when the FPGA configuration from flash fails. Check all the jumper and switch setting on the board, make sure to set them back to the default factory setting. You can refer to the Arria 10 dev kit user guide for the default factory settings under chapter "Default Switch and Jumper Settings":

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10-fpga-prod-devkit.pdf

Then power up the board and monitor if the same D16 LED lights up or the D17 LED (Configuration done LED) lights up.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
KSmil
Beginner

​Hi Nooraini,

Yes, I was referring to the D16 LED (I forgot to add the name of the LED before posting).

All of the jumper switches are the set to the default settings and the device still fails to configure.

I have recently got a colleague to run a JTAG integrity test, and he advised me that the first part of the test was fine (checking the JTAG chain by passing a flag thorugh the chain, and reading the part ID's of devices in the chain), but when running the second part f the test (involving a reset procedure) the part ID for the Arria 10 was not correct, meaning that the device would not be able to configure correctly.

I am not 100% sure how this test worked, but this was my understanding of it, incase that offers any additional clues.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi KSmil,

I'm not sure if I understand the second part of the test that you did. Perhaps you can provide some screen shots to show the test you did with the Arria 10 dev kit. Were you able to use the Arria 10 dev kit before the failure started to happen? You can try to reduce the USB Blaster II TCK to lower frequency such as 16Mhz or 6Mhz before trying to program the .sof file. Refer to the following KDB link on the steps to modify the USB Blaster II TCK value:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd10202016_518.html

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
KSmil
Beginner

​​​Hi Nooraini,

That test was carried out with a colleague, who is a JTAG expert. The test software was all on his laptop so unfortunately I don't have any screenshots.

I have attached a screenshot of Quartus programmer, when trying to program the A10 with a SOF file (jtag_fail).

I am able to program the flash separately (with a POF image, for example). The issue is that the Arria 10 does not configure after the flash has been programmed.

I have tried changing the JTAG frequence from 24MHz to 6MHz but the Arria 10 still did not configure.

I have also checked the status of the configuration pins,

MSEL               = "001"

COND_DONE  = '0'

nSTATUS        = '1'

nCE                   = '0'

nCONFIG         = '1'

dCLK                = '0'

I have been using the Arria 10 Dev Kit for a few months now and it has all been fine. The design I am testing involves communicating with an existing design on another Dev Kit (Stratix III), vi the FMCA connection.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

HI KSmil,

When did you purchase or received the Arria 10 board? Please provide the Arria 10 dev kit S/N information. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Karl,

Did you reduce the USB Blaster II cable TCK to either 16Mhz or 6Mhz before performing the tests that I requested? Can you check (to make sure) the part number (top marking of the Arria 10 device) matches to the part number that you set in your Quartus project design? If the actual Arria 10 part number is ES device, then Quartus your project design need to target the same ES part number.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
KSmil
Beginner

​Hi Nooraini,

I have tried it at both 16MHz and 6 MHz and the tests showed the same results. I can't see the top of the Arria 10 device, as it is under the heat sink. I am sure that the part number that is shown in the programmer matches the part number used in my design. I had been using this design for a couple of months before the issues started, so I know that the design functions correctly on the dev. board as well.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi KSmil,

Does the flash device configure the Arria 10 when you set back to the default setting? By default, the Arria 10 dev kit ( with factory setting) is setup to perform FPP mode to configure the Arria 10 from the flash when power up. The flash device is programmed with a default factory image. At this point based on your test result since, there is no issue detecting the device via JTAG as this process does not require the CONF_DONE to be high. However the .sof file programming via JTAG does require for the CONF_DONE pint to go high in order to successfully enter user mode. Please check if the default FPP mode can successfully configure the Arria 10 from flash device or fail.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
KSmil
Beginner

​Hi Nooraini,

The aria 10 still does not configure when the settings are set to default. The default factory image is still stored in the flash, but even setting all the settings back to default (as per the user guide) the Arria 10 cannot configure with this image.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Karl,

Apologize for the delay, I missed this update. Base on all the testing findings and result, even with the default settings the Arria 10 device is not able to configure, most probably the CONF_DONE pin is no longer functioning as expected.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos