Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20926 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Things are pretty good over here guys...

Don't worry though, my main PC is still MSI and I can't leave Windows because of my job

0 Kudos
JAyda1
Beginner

Hi!! justo to comment that till Windows 10 Insider Pro Build 17123 + igfx 4973 the problem is still here, but the right click on desktop which is lone gone....

Also, when installing new drivers, the problem seems to be fixed, until the reboot, when the problem comeback...

Also, coolrecep maybe you could edit the first post to comment that the "Right click on desktop" issue is gone with lastest drivers?
0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I removed the right click from the list of problems but Beta driver is there like for a week...

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

I'm really tired of this. The differences are huge. I'm disabling the dGpu when I'm working on battery, and the laptop becomes ridiculously so much faster and fluent. We have the right to be able to use our computers like this, without having to disabling the dGpu. Any news ? Bryce@Intel and Ronald_Intel

Another idea for the ones who is responsible for fixes: (If this problem is way hard to solve :/)

Or let's talk to Nvidia, so that at least if they could do an assignable hotkey to manually switch between the Gpus 😕

0 Kudos
MZaho1
Novice

Yeah disabling the nvidia driver does fix the lag issue, however, for some reason, it starts to "eat" more juice than with it enabled. Battery Info View shows me 20W usage on IDLE. I dont know how this can happen, since disabling the nvidia driver should keep the laptop stay on intel hd all the time, not the other way around. Its really strange behavior.

YKuşc
Novice

Today I noticed that too, and I got really really mad. What a non-sense !

Edit: I had to edit the message due to bad language. I wish that Intel Employees would be solving problems as fast as they reject the messages by dissatisfied customers.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

This just proves how bad optimus is working or in this case not working. This is a more serious issue. Maybe now it is eating mroe battery than when optimus will be fixed.

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

For every work around solution, they simply mean that:

If you want a fluent notebook, then your battery will be drawn twice faster. (Even for the case of disabling dGpu)

or vice versa

If you want long battery life, then you have to experience stutters and freezing.

(If it only affected the mouse cursor, I would be patient and wait for the solution; but it does affect the SOUND ! I got really tried of hearing buzzing and distorted sounds every time the stutter happens :/)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There are rules for behavior on the forum.

Also, I am not an employee. Your comments do not add anything to this thread. Read the thread. The problem is being addressed by the concerned parties.

Doc

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

Why don't they hire you Doc ? You are much like a moderator here ! I suggest you to go and apply for it, so that you can feel the joy of banning angry dissatisfied customers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more time - there are rules for behavior on the forum, and the dGPU problem is being addressed. None of us here know the exact complexity of the problem, and there are multiple manufacturers involved (Intel, nvidia, microsoft) not to mention the manufacturers of the devices/systems.

Yes, it is taking a long time, and I am certain there are a lot of angry customers. I know that I would be.

You can voice your dissatisfaction and anger, but you will keep it in civil terms. There is nothing I can do to help you.

Doc

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Guys.... i have come accross a alienware which doesnt have this problem .. upon comparing it neither has intel control panel nor the intel system tray.. is there a way to disable intel system tray... i know we could disable control panel by removing the entries

0 Kudos
JAyda1
Beginner

Disabling the Intel Control panel has no sense by itself... A few days ago, some intel driver ended up without control panel nor system tray, but didn´t fixed anything. Can you check what driver version have the alienware? The exact model of the notebook? also, nvidia driver and window build used... That could give us some info...

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

The intel driver was 836 and build was 1709.309

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

The notebook is a alienware 15 r3 gtx 1070

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Btw did anybody try rs5... could u please tell if it fixes it

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

No. Its not fixed in RS5

hitewolf179

0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

Hello friends. I read the whole story from the end to the end in the hope that there is already a solution to this annoying problem, because I am one of you. I have Lenovo legion Y520 with i7 and gtx 1060. The Windows version is 1709 (16299.309) with all updates. Intel card drivers are 23.20.16.4944, nvidia 391.01. I have all the problems described above. Freeze right click, mozilla freeze, and quickly drain the battery. I'm sick of all this. The worst thing is that I took the pay-out laptop, and now it's hard to get it back

0 Kudos
JAyda1
Beginner

Weird that the right click freeze is still present. Try to update the intel driver to the 4973 version... The rest of the problems, don´t have any fix yet

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

Right click freeze is present with 4944, updating to 4973 solves the particular issue.

0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

please give me a link to 4973

0 Kudos