Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Can I program Cyclone V devices without having a license? We have the programming file .sof. we don't want to compile.

MGhad3
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @MGhad3​ ,

Yes, you can program .sof file without any license.

Open Quartus with 30- days trial mode or without compilation mode go to Tools-> programmer ->auto detect ->select device->right click and change the file ->click on start.

Intel altera recommended to use programmer from same Quartus version & edition used to generate .sof file.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
MGhad3
Beginner

Hi @Anand​ 

Thanks for your response.

Does it allow programming SOF files containing NIOS processor? after programming do I have to keep the USB blaster plugged in? or it can be removed ? I noticed in Web edition you have to have the usb blaster plugged in.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @MGhad3​ ,

Yes, you can program SOF files containing NIOS processor.

1.If you have time-limited sof file,We have to keep the USB blaster plugged in.

2.Or If sof file is generated using licensed quartus tool it's not necessary.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
MGhad3
Beginner

thanks @Anand​ 

The last question is using the 30 day trial, is it possible to generate sof file? ( not a time limited)

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Yes, but it will be time-limited sof file for Quartus pro & Quartus std.

We can use Quartus Lite to generate sof(not a time limited) only if, we are not using any IP's which required license.

For example: If we use Quartus Lite to design a system with Nios II/f(which requires license) in 30-days train mode of quartus. Tool will generate a time limited sof file.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You can also download just the Programmer if you don't want to download and install the full Quartus software:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

Click "Select by Software" and then choose "Programming Software."

#iwork4intel