Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGhad3
Beginner

Can I program Cyclone V devices without having a license? We have the programming file .sof. we don't want to compile.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @MGhad3​ ,

Yes, you can program .sof file without any license.

Open Quartus with 30- days trial mode or without compilation mode go to Tools-> programmer ->auto detect ->select device->right click and change the file ->click on start.

Intel altera recommended to use programmer from same Quartus version & edition used to generate .sof file.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

MGhad3
Beginner

Hi @Anand​ 

Thanks for your response.

Does it allow programming SOF files containing NIOS processor? after programming do I have to keep the USB blaster plugged in? or it can be removed ? I noticed in Web edition you have to have the usb blaster plugged in.

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @MGhad3​ ,

Yes, you can program SOF files containing NIOS processor.

1.If you have time-limited sof file,We have to keep the USB blaster plugged in.

2.Or If sof file is generated using licensed quartus tool it's not necessary.

Regards

Anand

MGhad3
Beginner

thanks @Anand​ 

The last question is using the 30 day trial, is it possible to generate sof file? ( not a time limited)

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Yes, but it will be time-limited sof file for Quartus pro & Quartus std.

We can use Quartus Lite to generate sof(not a time limited) only if, we are not using any IP's which required license.

For example: If we use Quartus Lite to design a system with Nios II/f(which requires license) in 30-days train mode of quartus. Tool will generate a time limited sof file.

Regards

Anand

sstrell
Honored Contributor II

You can also download just the Programmer if you don't want to download and install the full Quartus software:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

Click "Select by Software" and then choose "Programming Software."

#iwork4intel