Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

Quartus 17 can't programm DE10 Lite on Ubuntu 16

ANava7
Beginner

I have installed Quartus 17 on Ubuntu 16.04 and the problem is that after select USB-Blaster and Trying to upload the programm to the DE10 Lite, always get FAILED. I was working with a EP1C3T144 but just in Windows, using Quartus 10, at that time Ubuntu never recognized USB-Blaster. Now I don't know if I forgot to install something, for the installation of Quartus, I did:

• sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install libxft2:i386 libxext6:i386 libxext6:i386 libncurses5:i386
  • ./setup.sh (Quartus)

And then I also did the following for the USB-Blaster:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/92-usbblaster.rules. And add

# USB-Blaster

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster/%k"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6002", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster/%k"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6003", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster/%k"

# USB-Blaster II

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster2/%k"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6810", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster2/%k"

I hope someone could help me with this issue.

progrmr_quartus2.png

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
anava3
Beginner

Ok, finally I found a way to programm my FPGA DE10 Lite, and I as thougth it was due to some libraries in Ubuntu. The line in a terminal to check my problem is the next:

$ /.../quartus/bin/jtagconfig

1) USB-Blaster [1-3]

Unable to read device chain - JTAG chain broken

So with the next commands :

$sudo apt-get install libudev1:i386

$ sudo ln -sf /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0

Then I checked again :

1) USB-Blaster [1-3]              

031050DD  10M50DA(.|ES)/10M50DC

Finally on Quartus, I run programmer and started and I got : Sucessful

The source to solve my problem is : https://www-acc.gsi.de/wiki/Timing/QuartusInstallUbuntu1404.

0 Kudos
Pvand1
Novice

Ubuntu isn't supported. This has been duscussed on the old forum. Searhing for ubuntu and programmer should give pointers for others where this solution does not work.

0 Kudos
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello Pvand1,

I am not that sure that Ubuntu is not supported for Q18.1, please consult the latest info.

<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html>:

Best regards,

Johi.

0 Kudos
Pvand1
Novice

@JOHI thanks, it has been a while since I updated because I did not want to go through the trouble of getting it to work. It seems that Quartus now indeed supports Ubuntu, but modelsim isn't. Maybe I will update.

0 Kudos
anava3
Beginner

Yes Ubuntu is now supported, as in my first message I tried to install Quartus 10 in a laptop with ubuntu 14, I couldn't get the Usb-Blaster working, besides there was some people that use some old versions of Quartus in Ubuntu. Now I have Quartus 17 in an old Samsung laptop and also in a Hp laptop with Quartus 18, running fine.

0 Kudos