Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 DOESNT work with NUC gen 10 (NUC10i3FNH)

Hello,

i've been struggling with this matter for some time now and wonder if anyone has a positive experience with Apple thunderbolt display on NUC gen 10 (titan ridge thunderbolt controller).

Problem — connection of Apple Thunderbolt Display has no effect whatsoever. No notifications occurs, no changes in Devices Manager list, nothing. 

Apple cinema display works alright being connected via mini displayport to usb-c adapter.

What i've tried:

• daisy chain with intermediate device with Alpine ridge thunderbolt controller (Lacie d2 thunderbolt 3 hdd),
  • installing / reinstalling all available drivers for thunderbolt under Intel downloads page (most legacy drivers could not be installed for some reason).

My setup:

• NUC10i3FNH
  • windows 10 (version 2004)
  • apple thunderbolt 2 > thunderbolt 3 adapter (works with macbook alright)

Research / thought:

• i've read about troubles with Titan ridge thunderbolt controllers communicating with legacy thunderbolt 1 controllers, and tried to remedy it by putting intermediate device (Lacie hdd) with Alpine ridge controller (no luck),
  • some say that its due to the Intel drivers that dropped support for legacy thunderbolt hubs https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/How-can-I-connect-to-an-Apple-Thunderbolt-Display/td-p/56036...
  • anyway it seems that many vendors found workaround like custom bios enumeration or something, yet Intel NUC BIOS has no such option. 

Please do comment if you have any thoughts on that issue, workarounds or possible angles for further research. 

10 Replies
Highlighted

Tried StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (certified for thunderbolt) with the same result. 

Is that right that since display doesnt work on bios screen than it cant be Windows / drivers issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello bloomsburybloke, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We would like to take a look to this issue a little bit closer, so we would like to have more details about this. I guess you can get display with another output (e.g. HDMI, USB-C-DP/miniDP), if that is the case, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. Connect the Thunderbolt Apple* display as a second display and provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

3. Do you see any video signal while the system is posting? E.g. NUC logo, BIOS screen. 

4. Please provide the full model/part number of: 

• Apple* display 
  • Thunderbolt cable 
  • Apple* adapter 

Please keep in mind that an important piece of information for us to replicate or investigate this internally are the connectors that you are using, so the monitor, cables and adpters tested are very important. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Sebastian!

Thanks for your reply and your interest in this issue.

I did as you ask and got two reports that you requested. I did not use a second display and used a teamviewer instead, apart from that i've done everything as you've told. 

I do not see no NUC logo during boot and any reaction from the display whatsoever. (It does work with my macbook pro 2019 with no issues, so it works in general)

Exact models of my setup:

• Apple thunderbolt display 27 inch, model A1407 (firmware version 26,2)
  • Apple thunderbolt display cable (integrated into display) 
  • Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter model A1790

Also i've tried different thunderbolt adapter, with bus power, certified for windows — startech thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter (model TBT3TBTADAP).

Hope it would help. Thanks for looking into this!

1 active display mentioned in UHD Graphics report is TeamViewer virtual display. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello bloomsburybloke, 

Thank you for the information.

We will be working on this internally, please kindly wait for our response. As soon as we have an update, we will proceed to post it on the thread.

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Sebastian!

Thanks! I'll be waiting for some followup (still have some hope to use thunderbolt display with my NUC)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello bloomsburybloke,  

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

After checking the behavior internally, we confirmed that indeed this Intel® NUC supports Thunderbolt displays, Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with previous versions when we are referring to the technology itself but the connectors are different and the use of adapters is subject to fail, we do not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work; the best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type in both ends: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026412/graphics.html 

Apple* usually customizes products, we cannot ensure the Apple* displays or cables will work on our NUCS. Can you try using a different Thunderbolt display (different brand if possible) to see if that works? 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Sebastian.

Thanks for reply.

I have no doubt that different display would work on my NUC. 

As per my research -- same issue with the Apple Thunderbolt Display had many vendors and over some time they have overcome it by introducing special option in their BIOS (i.e. BIOS Assisted Mode in DELL and similar solutions from different vendors).

So i wonder if Intel is planning to introduce similar solution in their BIOS? 

As for the cable/adapter, as i've said, i've tried officially certified (via Thunderbolt technology website) adapter StartTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 with no luck either. 

Hope you could answer about the possibility of BIOS solution from Intel. Still have some hope and not selling my Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello bloomsburybloke, 

Currently we do not have the plans of including a similar BIOS feature to support these types of Apple* Thunderbolt Displays, however; I will be sharing this good idea internally to the team in charge, but we cannot ensure that this will be included soon. So for now, this seems to be an unsupported display. 

In the meantime, you might want to check with Apple* to see if they find any suggestion on this. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Sebastian!

Thanks for a straight answer! 

I think such solution would be widely appreciated.

Apple Thunderbolt Display is kinda unique way to connect legacy firewire devices (like professional photo equipment) to a thunderbolt PC (apart form one discontinued usb-c dock by OWC).

Thanks,
Alex

Highlighted

Hello bloomsburybloke,  

We have submitted the idea internally, will be reviewed by the team in charge. 

As I mentioned, I cannot ensure if this is going to be implemented or not, and cannot provide an ETA, Therefore, this is an unsupported display for now. 

We will proceed to close this inquiry, if you have any additional questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you again for your time. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos