Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Can't open .qbf file due to no device support installed, but Cyclone IV support is installed. Quartus Prime 19.1 Lite.

JSmit268
Beginner

I'm brand new to Quartus Prime, running Windows 10.

A co-worker currently owns some FPGA code and I need to make some changes. So I downloaded the Quartus Prime 19.1 Lite (QuartusLiteSetup-19.1.0.670-windows.exe) package and installed it.

I also downloaded the Cyclone IV device support (cyclone-19.1.0.670.qdz) file and the windows patch "quartus-19.1std-0.02std-windows.exe". I installed the windows patch with no issues after installed Quartus Prime 19.1 Lite.

When I installed Quartus Prime 19.1 Lite it showed that it also installed support for Cyclone IV. I found that interesting since there is a separate download for that device support. But, that's fine.

When I first open the software, it tells me that I need to install device support. Hmmm. It said it installed support for Cyclone IV already. (See attached image "You Must Install Message.png".)

Okay, so I attempt to install device support. It tells me that Cyclone IV support is already installed. (See image "Select Components Showing Cyclone IV already installed With Message.png".)

So what is it? Is there Cyclone IV device support installed or not? There seems to be some disconnect here.

Is there some other patch that needs to be installed, is this a bug, or do I need to install some other device support (that I don't need) in order to get by the prompt to install device support?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Something is messed up with the installation. I'd delete Quartus and then reinstall the devices. Do the device installation before doing any additional patches. And it looks like the patch you mention is for Standard edition (std) so that may have something to do with it as well.

#iwork4intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So you're saying that every time you open Quartus, you get the message about missing device support or is it only when you try to open this co-worker's project?

Can you just open Quartus and create a new project with the New Project Wizard on the File menu and select a Cyclone IV as the target device?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
JSmit268
Beginner

Every time I open Quartus, I get the message about missing device support.

I can dismiss the message. But if I try to create a new Quartus Prime Project using the New Project Wizard (or manually with File, New..., New Quartus Prime Project), I get the same missing device support message.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Something is messed up with the installation. I'd delete Quartus and then reinstall the devices. Do the device installation before doing any additional patches. And it looks like the patch you mention is for Standard edition (std) so that may have something to do with it as well.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
JSmit268
Beginner

Thank you for the replies, BTW.

The rub with uninstall and reinstall is that I never even get to install the Cyclone IV device support myself - it appears that device support gets installed with the main package. I can't remember if I can uncheck the Cyclone IV device support at initial install, though.

I will uninstall and reinstall and see if I can get the main package to install without the Cylcone IV device support and then try to install it separately.

I will update here with results.

Regards.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If there .qdz is in the same location as the installer, the devices should get installed with it. Just try installing without installing any patches.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
JSmit268
Beginner

Your comment about the .qdz file in the same location as the installer was the key! After removal and reinstall, I no longer get the prompt to install device support when I open Quartus Prime Lite 19.1.

I looked in the folder where the installer was and found a .qdz and a .qdz.part file for the Cyclone IV device. It appears as through the Cyclone IV device support file did not complete download the first time. It was about 360M in size. After deleting both of those files and downloading it again, it shows a size of 477M.

I did not check the MD5 hash the first time on the device support file. This time I checked it and it is correct. That would have saved me some headache. If I noticed the .part file, that would have helped, too.

I find it interesting that the installer would report success when it had an incomplete file for Cyclone IV device support, though. I would expect the install to fail or at the very least give a very noticeable prompt that the device support file that it was attempting to use was not complete and then NOT report that it was installed. (But I have no idea if that is even possible.)

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos