Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Can't use localparam in Quartus module's parameter port list

escottp
Novice

Previously, I would parametrically define port widths based on localparams that are defined after the module port definitions, which I now realize causes errors during elaboration with certain tools (ModelSim, Active-HDL), but not others (Vivado).

Because I was switching full-time to Active-HDL, I transitioned to putting the localparam definitions in the module's parameter port list (which remedies the 'error' of the variable being used before it is defined). However, it seems as though Quartus does not like that, despite that usage being explicitly permitted in the SystemVerilog standard.

I'm using Quartus 20.1.1 Lite Edition.

(Yes, I have those files set to 'SystemVerilog' in Quartus. Yes, the localparams are listed last in the parameter port list.)

Now, if I turn those localparams into parameters, then it synthesizes fine. But that leaves the undesirable inevitability that somebody years from now (maybe me will try to set those parameters that should be localparams, during instantiation of that module.

Suggestions on how to use SystemVerilog files with Quartus in this way?

3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you show the code that works vs. the code that doesn't?  There's not much you can do if Quartus doesn't support localparam in the port list.

0 Kudos
escottp
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I get an error during Analysis and Synthesis with Quartus if I do:

module my_module #(

paramater TEST0 = 8,

localparam TEST1 = 16

)(

input [TEST1:0] my_input

);

endmodule

There error reads:

Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at my_module.sv(5) near text: "localparam"; expecting an identifier ("localparam" is a reserved keyword ). Check for and fix any syntax errors that appear immediately before or at the specified keyword. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @escottp 

I think there is a limitation in the System Verilog language in Quartus lite. 

The code is able to compile in Quartus Pro version. 

Best Regards, 

Richard Tan