Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Cyclone II

JoeK
Novice

Is it possible to develop Cyclone II devices on Quartus Prime?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoeK
Novice

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up! I got it all. Now we see how  the install goes.

Thanks So Much!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Sure, I do it all the time. I use QuartusII v13.0sp1 which is the LAST/LATEST version that supports the CycloneII series.

Still downloadable via the Intel/Altera Quartus download portal.

0 Kudos
JoeK
Novice
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using Quartus II 13.0.sp1 which does support Cyclone II. I have even produced a design. However, when I try to run RTL I get a message that the modelsim-altera eda executable is not located. I know how to set the path under Tools->Options but I can't find the executables. From other posts I understand I should look for 
"C:\altera\13.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem\"  (or similar)) but this path does not exist in my version. Do you know where I can get these executables?
0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Sorry, I don't use modelsim for my simulations. I've always used another 3rd party verilog simulator.

IIRC when you download 13.0sp1 there is a separate file you need to download for the companion modelsim simulator.

I don't believe modelsim (which is not an altera product) is bundled in the quartus download.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I went to the Intel/Quartus download page for FPGA tools, and 13.0sp1 does not seem to be available for download anymore.

The earliest free/web version I could select of the Quartus tools was 17.0 (which does not support CycloneII).

The 14.0 version of the subscription version was available for download, but that requires a paid license.

So as best as I can tell 13.0sp1 is no longer available, so Cyclone/CycloneII support, and MAX3K/MAX7K CPLD support, are defunct.

Glad I downloaded the complete set of files several years ago.

Intel stop being so **bleep** and please leave your old tools up for download for us old guys supporting old devices.

JoeK
Novice

I was hoping that Quartus Prime would support Cyclone II and provide a simulation tool but this looks like a dead end too.  It's too bad because there are a lot of Cyclone II applications still in use that need support. Fortunately us "old guys" can still swing a o'scope. Theres more than one way to debug a design. 

Thanks All for your Help!

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

QuartusII Web (Lite) is back up on the download page as of this posting time (2022-01-09 10:00am PST).

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/13.0sp1/?edition=web&platform=windows

Get it while it is still available... also includes ModelSim download file.

0 Kudos
JoeK
Novice

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up! I got it all. Now we see how  the install goes.

Thanks So Much!

0 Kudos