Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Design won't compile, no error messages listed, SignalTap won't display outputs.

JPowe1
Beginner

I've been working on a Max 10 design and the latest version won't compile (the flow window shows Compile Design in red with an X) but ​none of the flow messages list an error. It stops when it gets to TimeQuest. If I run any of the individual flows including TimeQuest no failures are reported. When I run the node finder in SignalTap none of the outputs are listed but the inputs are. When I look at the design with the Netlist viewers the inputs and outputs are shown. This didn't happen in the previous version of the design. How do I troubleshoot? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Try closing the project, trashing the db folder, and recompile from scratch. Also, can you show some screenshots of what you are seeing? It's very rare for Quartus to just stop compilation without providing a message explaining why.

0 Kudos
JPowe1
Beginner
I tried deleting the db folder and recompiling but I get the same result. Here are some screenshots. There should be outputs listed by the node finder but only inputs are shown. The technology map view shows the outputs. [cid:image005.png@01D48712.4979B0E0] [cid:image001.png@01D48710.70503C40] [cid:image002.png@01D48710.34A63000] [cid:image003.png@01D48710.34A63000]
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Your images were not attached correctly. I can't view them.

0 Kudos
JPowe1
Beginner

​see attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You need to open the Messages window from the View menu. These are just the flow messages, not the complete messages for the compilation. Also check if there are any suppressed messages. There is info missing here.

0 Kudos
JPowe1
Beginner

​The message window showed errors for power analyzer, which isn't supported for this version. I turned off power analyzer in the assignments > settings window and now the compiler runs without an error.

I still see no outputs in node finder.

Currently I'm not able to run signaltap with just the inputs since I get invalid jtag configuration.

This seems to intermittent where sometimes the device is recognized by the blaster cable and sometimes not.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You have "currently selected hardware" set to "no hardware". Are you saying it keeps switching from the USB Blaster back to "No hardware"?

I don't understand not seeing outputs in the Node Finder other than the fact that you can't tap device outputs directly from Signal Tap (assuming you selected a Signal Tap filter in the Node Finder). You have to tap the register that feeds the output since there's no path from the output I/O cell back into the device to connect to Signal Tap. Use the Technology Map Viewer (Post-fit) to find the output registers. You can then right-click them and then select the option to add them to the node list in the .stp file.

0 Kudos
JPowe1
Beginner

​Sometimes the programmer window shows no hardware but I rebooted the pc and currently it shows the usb-blaster II.

I thought the node finder would show output pins since it shows input pins.

I had previously run node finder and was able to see the outputs but I forgot it doesn't show the pins.

I still don't see any data on the outputs for the lastest version even if I select the same signals I did for the previous one where I could see data on those signals. 

What can cause the invalid jtag configuration and instance not found?

I'm able to program the device using the programmer for either project.

0 Kudos