Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

For Intel Stratix 10 FPGA, which tool to use to compile ARM53 core code

YogeshThite
Employee

Hi,

Using Intel Stratix 10 FPGA - SOC. This contains quad ARM53 cores. Need to write code on one of these ARM53 cores explicitly.

Question:

Need information on which tool to use, where to download/ link to download tool (basically, compiler, linker etc). Link to samples of code (for these ARM53) if any.

Regards,

Yogesh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just about everything you need can be found at Rocketboards: https://rocketboards.org/

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi YogeshThite,

Are you trying to run a bare metal application or application with Linux OS?

Can provide more details regarding what you are going to develop?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
YogeshThite
Employee

Hi,

1. Yes, I am using Linux OS on Stratix 10 board

2. Trying to write simple application to read data via ethernet and parse it.

To get started, I did following:

I downloaded compiler from here: https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/7.5-2019.12/aarch64-linux-gnu/gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-i686-mingw32_aarch64-linux-gnu.tar.xz - extracted the tar file and this creates huge folder "gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-i686-mingw32_aarch64-linux-gnu"

Made a simple printf "hello world"

Compiled it by using command prompt + the compiler with below command: "Complete path of folder\bin\aarch64-linux-gnu-c++.exe" testCode.c - Note using absolute path as the PATH is not set

Generated a.out file, copied it on Linux installed on HPS (ARM53 cores) - using ftp to Stratix 10 board

Executed command to see printf output which works fine.

Question:
1. Is this the generally used procedure?
2. Is there any IDE that can do end to end code compilation by selecting right compiler at backend?
3. Can code be configured to run specific to core for execution?

Regards,
Yogesh

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi YogeshThite,

I was trying to reach out to find more relevant information.

1. Is this the generally used procedure?

Yes

2. Is there any IDE that can do end to end code compilation by selecting right compiler at backend?

I not aware that there is any IDE to do that as we normally will compile the required files on external linux environment before program it into the board.

3. Can code be configured to run specific to core for execution?

We do not have any example for reference. Maybe can look into linux taskset cmd for it to be implemented in the code.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/taskset.1.html

May I know is your Linux files are programmed into NAND/QSPI/SD flash memory?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi YogeshThite,

I obtained further information from the team regarding your previous questions as below:

You can use Arm DS to perform debugging for your Linux application.

Here are the instructions for Arm DS-5 (the older tool which was replaced with Arm DS): 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/LinuxApplicationDebuggingWithDS5

It works pretty much the same with Arm DS.

Please note that:

• For older Arm DS-5 you could do Linux application debugging with a free license

• For Arm DS you need an Intel FPGA Edition license, or a generic Gold license from Arm

• Very old Arm DS (older than v2020.1) had a bug that the Intel FPGA edition license did not support Linux

application debugging, but this was fixed in newer versions

It should also be possible to set up a generic Eclipse CDT debugger to debug Linux applications over GDB, but we do not provide support for that, customer will require to research further on that.

As for building, customer should do it with Makefiles, and import the Makefile in Eclipse, then be able to build it from Eclipse.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi YogeshThite,

I will close this thread if no further question from your side

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos