Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Is anybody else completely dissatisfied with this new forum?

GLees
New Contributor II

This used to be a robust forum, lots of new questions everyday and, most impotantly, lots of responses. This new forum is clunky and time consuming to navigate. Nobody seems interested anymore. I used to check-in everyday to see what's new. Not any more.

112 Replies
corestar
New Contributor I

@NRaml, looks like code insert is still broken to me. On my system (Windows 7 and FireFox or IE) it shows all 306 lines with no scrollbar.

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Same here, completely expanded by default and no scrollabr.

0 Kudos
Pvand1
Novice

ff63 android 8 same thing, no scrollbar. But I think i prefer it this way. Maybe 300+ lines is a bit too much, this might be something where view more functionality might be useful. Default only showa few lines and then have a button/link to toggle showing the complete thing.

0 Kudos
Pvand1
Novice

Just got a problem where links to a thread actually open another, or loading takes >20 seconds. Also got a script problem:IMG_20181229_180140.jpg

Saw my username got improved by Intel, so that is a bit better.

0 Kudos
Sethuraman_K_Intel

Hello,

We need the following information in order to troubleshoot this further.

1. Browser type along with the version number that you are using
  2. Have you  been able to reproduce this problem multiple times?

thanks

Raman Kuppuswamy

0 Kudos
Pvand1
Novice

Sure, for me it still is:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006ALx4SAG

ff63 on android8

0 Kudos
rockstarrocks
Novice

Site looks great to be honest but there are issues too. There are so many threads here unanswered, seems like no one cares. Plus I hate the never ending scroll to get the last post in a thread. I would prefer a pages approach i.e. thread divided into several pages with each post getting their #, so it's easier to reference back.

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi @rockstarrocks​ , We did fix the scroll to get to the last post in a thread. On the very first post in the thread, there is a "Go to latest reply" that should help. I agree that having each post getting a # is great, we'll keep looking at improvement options so we appreciate your input. Thank you!

Mary T.

Community Manager

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

Since I started this thread about four months ago I feel it's appropriate for me to weigh in again. I'm really happy with the changes that have been made. The forum is back to being "pretty easy to use and navigate" and I see more activity now. Thanks for all the hard work.

schendel_nsf
Novice

Thanks for your post !

After the promised update disappointed, I had all but given up on it, but you are right, the forum has become usable again.

In particular, for those who say the design offers nothing better:

Have you noticed that you can (now) check and write answers on your tablet/smart phone ?

That would not have worked well with the old one (and also not with the current design some time ago).

Please keep listening to requests from the top posters / moderators of the Altera Forum, and Keep up the good work !

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Big step forward with addition of sub-sections for the large sections.

Though I think something should be done about the "Application Acceleration With FPGAs" section, since many of the questions posted there are OpenCL-related questions from people who just happen to be using Intel PAC.

0 Kudos
mfro
New Contributor I

Agreed. Noticeable improvement.

Now - with the integration of all the other Intel forums - I'm missing a functionality to navigate 'upwards' from a forum.

Before, I was just clicking on 'Community' that brings you to the top level and clicked my way down again from there. Since there are a lot more forums on the way down now, this has become way more awkward than before.

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

Yes it is going better, but it is still slow in some cases. On this thread (with 95 messages), clicking on the "Go to latest reply" takes more than one minute before the end of the thread is displayed on my computer. And Firefox complained twice that a script on the page was taking too much time to process.

Another feature that is still missing imho is a read/unread status. When I come to the forum I'd like to know which thread has messages I haven't read, and in each thread to jump to the first unread message. Without this each time I come to the forum I have to guess from the approximate date and time I was on the forum last time. And even like this it isn't easy, because the thread list still shows the date and time of the first post in a thread instead of the last one.

Something rather annoying also happened to me today. I was writing a (long) answer and when clicking on the "Answer" button, I got the message "This thread/question has been closed. It has a best answer selected!". So two questions:

1) the selected "best answer" is not visible on the thread itself. In the thread list I can see that the question has been answered, but there is no indication once we are in the thread itself.

2) why is the "write an answer" box still present on the page if it is not possible to answer?

But keep up the good work, it's a step in the right direction!

0 Kudos
Daixiwen
New Contributor I

Just a short update... posting my answer just here above took 88 seconds. And Firefox complained about the javascript taking too much time 5 times.

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

Yes, not having "read/unread" status is still a major nuisance for me.

0 Kudos
EGrub
Beginner

It is very slow and often tells me I should check my internet connection. But my connection is good, no issues with other web pages.

Editor seems to be buggy.

More than 10000 posts under Quartus, no further categories.

I couldn't find a place to report bugs.

Search is not good.

No possibility to get direct support like it was with the Altera service requests.

0 Kudos
SSilu
Beginner

For general FPGA question I recommned Xilinx forum - this one is sad joke. Typing this took about 100 seconds dut to cursor lagging...

0 Kudos
RSeft
Novice

I totally agree with SSilu. The Xilinx forum has always been way more active than Altera's, and now under Intel this new forum truly is a joke. Other resources, like rocketboards, seem to have been abandoned as well. The Arria 10 reference designs on rocketboards have not been updated in years now.

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

It's been four years since Intel bought Altera. It's time to accept the fact that they destroyed it and have no interest in anything other than data centers. They don't care about you; accept it and move on.

If you're using a FGPA Soc, the Xilinx tools make Altera look ridiculous. It's been that way for at least 8 years and is not going to change. It's a shame since Quartus is far superior to Vivado, but the Altera Soc tools people are clueless when it comes to making a usable tool.

If you're using lower end FPGA's (eg Cyclone, MAX 10) the new Lattice CrossLink-NX are worth a look. Intel has completely abandoned this market (as has Xilinx) and Lattice is moving full speed ahead.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I completely agree with corestar. This used to be an active, robust, vibrant forum. Under Intel it is dying an agonizing slow death.

The user interface and usability of this forum is terrible. I dread (trying) to come back here to see what is new or updated. It just takes so much longer than before it is most times hardly worth the effort.

Intel has accomplished Xilinx's wildest dream of being able to kill Altera as a viable competitor.

Pvand1
Novice

Agree here as well. Lattice seems like a good alternative, or Xilinx although it seems they are mostely going SoC.

Does anyone know another forum that comes close to the old Alteraforums, fun HDL questions, some on protocols etc?

0 Kudos