Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Operating Quartus with a remote PC

TSS1
Beginner

Hi

My PC at work has Quartus Prime Pro installed, running with a node-locked license.

Is there any way I can remotely run that Quartus from home, with my personal PC?

Perhaps if I install a secondary node-locked license on the personal PC?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding on your note, you need to use the license on multiple computers. Yes, it is possible to generate a Temporary License. This license enables portability for the same user that needs to use the license on multiple computers.

Please note that a Companion license is only temporary for 2-weeks period of time.

Refer to link on how to generate temporary license in Self-Service Licensing Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/education/demonstrations/online/licensing/how-to-generate-companion-or-temporary-license.pdf

0 Kudos
TSS1
Beginner

Hi AabdRahman, 

At home I'm running a private PC, and as such, it is too weak to run Quartus Prime Pro.

So unless I misunderstood you, I'm not sure a companion license could help,

as it cannot be installed on a PC uncapable of running said software.

My private PC can, however, connect from my home to my office work PC,

however the Quartus Prime Pro installed on that PC forbids any remote

operation, thus forcing me to actually do the work by physically being in the

office - this is the main problem I seek to solve.

Regards,

Itay

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You don't need a license for your local machine.  Any remote access software (Teamviewer, LogMeIn, Webex, etc.) would work fine.

When you say "PC forbids any remote operation", do you mean that your work has a firewall or something else that doesn't let you connect to your work machine?  I've used Quartus Pro remotely plenty of times with no issues.

0 Kudos
TSS1
Beginner

Hi sstrell,

Quartus Prime Pro needs a license by definition, as it targets higher-end devices such as

the Arria10 I'm working on.

My place of work has a firewall yet allows remote accessing, used by contractors to remotely

participate in integration sessions in our labs, and for writing documents from home,

just to name a few examples.

I suspect the reason why you're able to remotely access this Quartus is because in your case

the Quartus's license type is FLOATING - whereas in my case, it's NODE-LOCKED.

Also, I can definitely remotely access Quartus Prime LITE, I assume the reason is, 

that in the LITE case, a software exempt from licensing (as opposed to the PRO) is deemed

as a software with floating license i.e. permits remote accessing.

Pls. advise.

Regards,

Itay

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No, I always access node-locked machines that have their own license files.

So what you're saying is that you can access the machine but you can't run Quartus, so this is a licensing issue, not a remote access issue.  If it's Standard or Pro and you're not using a floating license server, then the machine you're trying to access needs its own license file that is specified in Quartus in the Tools menu (License Setup).  But you say you have that.

So I guess clarification is needed on this: "My private PC can, however, connect from my home to my office work PC, however the Quartus Prime Pro installed on that PC forbids any remote operation, thus forcing me to actually do the work by physically being in the office - this is the main problem I seek to solve."

When you say it forbids remote operation, what is actually happening that is not working as expected?

0 Kudos
TSS1
Beginner

It's a Pro and I have node-locked license installed. 

I can open the Quartus from home (remote), but then I get error messages regarding licensing and database loading.

When I open the Quartus at office, of course it's w/o said error messages.

From home, I can do trivial Quartus work - browse some files, review settings, etc.. but no matter wherever I opened the Quartus (at work or from home) - compilation aborts after ~1minute, again - due to licensing issues.

I'm working with VPN.

All other apps on my machine can be operated by remote, except Quartus and another one, that also runs on a node-locked license.

0 Kudos
TSS1
Beginner

Using VPN as method of remote, I cannot compile with the node-locked Pro.

Even if Intel so permit, 3rd-party licenses, may not.

If agreeing to compromise on image quality and keyboard/mouse responsiveness, then a Team-Viewer or perhaps an equivalent does support required said remote operation.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Based on your note, Quartus did not work form your working please and from home. To narrow down the issue. Can you provide information on your?

1) Quartus version use

2) Machine OS information

3) License.dat file

4) Error message screenshot

5) Screenshot of Quartus >> tools >> license setup

6) assembler report .asm.rpt file

·      The assembler report is located in <Project directory>/Output_files/<project_name>.asm.rpt.

And for privacy, you can reply/attach your file in private message.

0 Kudos
TSS1
Beginner

Hi AabdRahman,

My Quartus Pro works both from home, and at work.

From home, it's provided I use a simple software, such as Team-Viewer - as opposed to VPN.

IMO this SR may be closed.

BR,

Itay

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Sounds good, hope everything is working well at your side. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos