Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Quartus 20.1 Lite Crashes - compiling simple project

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Can someone please help. I installed Quartus on my laptop to do some work on the go but it crashes when I try compiling.

SparkyNZ_0-1625766914602.png

I checked the minimum requirements - my laptop meets them easy. What's the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Hi @sstrell . The only way I could fix this was to install the complete .tar version. I would say there's a bug in the smaller 1.6Gb install package - something missing. I also see others have reported this issue.

I can compile now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

With Quartus closed, delete the db and incremental_db folders in your project directory if present.  Start Quartus again and start the compile.

If it still crashes, you might have a bad Quartus install.  Uninstall and reinstall.

0 Kudos
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Thanks @sstrell . I gave that a go. Deleting the folders and then restarting made no difference. I then uninstall both 14.1 and 20.1 Quartus installations but it stil failed with the below report:

Problem Details
Error:
Internal Error: Sub-system: DEV, File: /quartus/ddb/dev/dev_pad_info_body.cpp, Line: 358
Key not defined in data file: INT_PAD_COUNT
Stack Trace:
    0x40f6d: DEV_PAD_INFO::get_number_of_pads + 0x3024d (DDB_DEV)
   0x2936bd: CUT_RPT_UTILITY::get_user_pins_available + 0x7d (db_cut)
   0x2b71de: CUT_RPT_UTILITY::update_summary + 0x3cde (db_cut)
    0x12fd6: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::do_mini_merge + 0x3b6 (quartus_map)
    0x23832: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::write_qic_databases + 0x932 (quartus_map)
    0x22574: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::write_databases + 0x114 (quartus_map)
    0x115c8: qexe_do_normal + 0x2a8 (comp_qexe)
    0x16622: qexe_run + 0x432 (comp_qexe)
    0x17371: qexe_standard_main + 0xc1 (comp_qexe)
    0x1b42b: qsyn_main + 0x53b (quartus_map)
    0x13258: msg_main_thread + 0x18 (CCL_MSG)
    0x14a5e: msg_thread_wrapper + 0x6e (CCL_MSG)
    0x16af0: mem_thread_wrapper + 0x70 (ccl_mem)
    0x12af1: msg_exe_main + 0xa1 (CCL_MSG)
    0x2a236: __tmainCRTStartup + 0x10e (quartus_map)
     0x13d1: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x21 (KERNEL32)
    0x154e3: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x33 (ntdll)

End-trace

Executable: quartus_map
Comment:
None

System Information
Platform: windows64
OS name: Windows 8.1
OS version: 6.3

Quartus Prime Information
Address bits: 64
Version: 20.1.1
Build: 720
Edition: Lite Edition
0 Kudos
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Hi @sstrell . The only way I could fix this was to install the complete .tar version. I would say there's a bug in the smaller 1.6Gb install package - something missing. I also see others have reported this issue.

I can compile now.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Windows 8.1?  I think you need to move to 10.  8.1 is not supported.

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Yes I am just upgrading to Windows 10 now - I can't use my USB Blaster clone. Ironically I can use it on Windows 7 (my main desktop) but the driver won't work on Windows 8. Always something.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @SparkyNZ 

Do you able to compile your project after upgrading to Window10? 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

@RichardTanSY_Intel yes I did, thank you. I had to install the USB Blaster drive from my Quartus 14.x  folder on my other Windows 7 PC. Now everything is working as it should with Windows 10 Pro N.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos