Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15378 Discussions

Quartus 20.1 Lite Crashes - compiling simple project

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Can someone please help. I installed Quartus on my laptop to do some work on the go but it crashes when I try compiling.

SparkyNZ_0-1625766914602.png

I checked the minimum requirements - my laptop meets them easy. What's the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Hi @sstrell . The only way I could fix this was to install the complete .tar version. I would say there's a bug in the smaller 1.6Gb install package - something missing. I also see others have reported this issue.

I can compile now.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

With Quartus closed, delete the db and incremental_db folders in your project directory if present.  Start Quartus again and start the compile.

If it still crashes, you might have a bad Quartus install.  Uninstall and reinstall.

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Thanks @sstrell . I gave that a go. Deleting the folders and then restarting made no difference. I then uninstall both 14.1 and 20.1 Quartus installations but it stil failed with the below report:

Problem Details
Error:
Internal Error: Sub-system: DEV, File: /quartus/ddb/dev/dev_pad_info_body.cpp, Line: 358
Key not defined in data file: INT_PAD_COUNT
Stack Trace:
    0x40f6d: DEV_PAD_INFO::get_number_of_pads + 0x3024d (DDB_DEV)
   0x2936bd: CUT_RPT_UTILITY::get_user_pins_available + 0x7d (db_cut)
   0x2b71de: CUT_RPT_UTILITY::update_summary + 0x3cde (db_cut)
    0x12fd6: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::do_mini_merge + 0x3b6 (quartus_map)
    0x23832: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::write_qic_databases + 0x932 (quartus_map)
    0x22574: QSYN_FRAMEWORK::write_databases + 0x114 (quartus_map)
    0x115c8: qexe_do_normal + 0x2a8 (comp_qexe)
    0x16622: qexe_run + 0x432 (comp_qexe)
    0x17371: qexe_standard_main + 0xc1 (comp_qexe)
    0x1b42b: qsyn_main + 0x53b (quartus_map)
    0x13258: msg_main_thread + 0x18 (CCL_MSG)
    0x14a5e: msg_thread_wrapper + 0x6e (CCL_MSG)
    0x16af0: mem_thread_wrapper + 0x70 (ccl_mem)
    0x12af1: msg_exe_main + 0xa1 (CCL_MSG)
    0x2a236: __tmainCRTStartup + 0x10e (quartus_map)
     0x13d1: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x21 (KERNEL32)
    0x154e3: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x33 (ntdll)

End-trace

Executable: quartus_map
Comment:
None

System Information
Platform: windows64
OS name: Windows 8.1
OS version: 6.3

Quartus Prime Information
Address bits: 64
Version: 20.1.1
Build: 720
Edition: Lite Edition
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Hi @sstrell . The only way I could fix this was to install the complete .tar version. I would say there's a bug in the smaller 1.6Gb install package - something missing. I also see others have reported this issue.

I can compile now.

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Windows 8.1?  I think you need to move to 10.  8.1 is not supported.

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Yes I am just upgrading to Windows 10 now - I can't use my USB Blaster clone. Ironically I can use it on Windows 7 (my main desktop) but the driver won't work on Windows 8. Always something.

RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @SparkyNZ 

Do you able to compile your project after upgrading to Window10? 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

@RichardTanSY_Intel yes I did, thank you. I had to install the USB Blaster drive from my Quartus 14.x  folder on my other Windows 7 PC. Now everything is working as it should with Windows 10 Pro N.

RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.