Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite not showing circuit node name from from Block Diagram/Schematic File

FMCC
New Contributor I

I teach at a college where we used Quartus II and Cyclone II boards to make digital circuits. I'm evaluating Quartus Prime Lite and a replacement board, the Cyclone V. The software looks to be quite similar however after creating a simple circuit using the 'Block Diagram/Schematic File' Design File and then compiling the project I do not see the circuit nodes listed in the Pin Planner. I do see many other nodes listed.

Generally, I use Inputs and outputs for most circuits. The inputs use the circuit switches and the outputs use the LED's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You have to use the pin symbol in the schematic editor to create an I/O pin and then assign it to a physical pin in the Pin Planner.

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Hello sstrell,

Thanks for the reply.

I used the 'Pin Tool' to create the inputs and output. (Is this what you were referring to?) I still do not see the inputs or output in the pin planner after compiling. I have pasted a copy of my very simply circuit below.

FMCC_0-1652791977857.png

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

After you create a design, you have to perform at least Analysis & Elaboration or full synthesis before you can make assignments (like pin locations). If you’re still not seeing the in the pin planner, you may have a filter on for the all pins list. I can’t think of what else would not let you see the i/o there. 

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Hello sstrell,

I rebuilt the project and took some screenshots. They are in the attached pdf file. I did try the 'Analysis & Elaboration' you suggested however still no luck. If you don't find anything wrong with the basic building of the project then I'm thinking I may be searching for the pins incorrectly. I tried different filters but no luck.

I also included the version of Quartus I'm using and the board.

As you can see, there are no error's found in the 'Analysis & Elaboration' of the Compilation of the project.

Roger

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You didn't add the design file to the project.  The Project Navigator only shows a design called baseline_c5gx.  If this schematic is to be the top-level of your design (connected to the I/O), you have to add it as a design file to the project (Project menu) and set it as the top-level design entity.

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Hello sstrell,

You were correct. I made the design file the top level entity and the nodes appeared! Thanks.

So I then assigned pin locations. To do this I had to look down the list and cut the location from one of the listed nodes and paste it in the nodes at the top of the list. I then recompiled the project without any errors.

FMCC_0-1652818398370.png

Next I'm trying to upload the project to my board using the programmer. I'm having some problems here. The board is currently connected to my PC and is on. Previously, when we used the DE2 boards when we selected the Hardware button we had a choice to select USB Blaster. However, currently there is no hardware to be selected. I went to Add Device and I selected my board but no luck. Any thoughts?

FMCC_1-1652818472213.png

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You can just drag and drop from the All Pins list to the package view to make location assignments, no copy/paste needed.

You have to click the Hardware Setup button to select your programming hardware, assuming it's connected and detected by Windows.

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

So when I'm in the pin planner this is what I see.

FMCC_0-1652820024056.png

When I select Hardware Setup...

FMCC_1-1652820087078.png

Windows chimes when the Cyclone V board is turned on however it does not look like Quartus recognizes the board. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Anything in the "Currently selected hardware" pop-up?

If not, Windows did not recognize the USB blaster.  Go into Device Manager, delete the unknown device and try having it auto detect again (unplug and replug).  If that doesn't work, you may need to manually install the driver.

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

I think you have found the issue. When looking at Devices on my PC it states 'USB-Blaster, Driver is unavailable'

I need to search for a driver.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The driver is included in your Quartus installation and was an option to install when you installed Quartus.

<Quartus version>/quartus/drivers

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

This is strange since I have the drivers where you said they would be.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Below are step to manually install USB blaster for window

Hopefully it helps

https://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/Intel_USB_Blaster_II_Driver_Installation_Instructions

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Hello SyafieqS,

We were able to download the driver to the board however the program failed to download to the board.

FMCC_0-1652967299453.png

I'm looking for an error code to troubleshoot.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Hello SyafieqS,

I found the issue. The switch on the board had to be in the RUN position. I had it in the PROG position earlier. This was a hale mary test but it finally worked.

Thanks for the help.

Roger

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

Thanks for the information.

As can be seen, the drivers need to be installed. Since the administrator of my PC is the college IT department I have to set an appointment to have them log in so the drivers can be updated. I will reply with the results.

FMCC_0-1652880537776.png

FMCC_1-1652880682023.png

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Roger,

Le me know if there is any update or concern at your end

0 Kudos
FMCC
New Contributor I

All is working once the drivers were installed using the referenced procedure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos