Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

get register driven clock name

EBoln
New Contributor I

How to get clock name on which the register is running in Q std?solved only using get_path, but during synthesis I get an error because get_path is not from sdc or sdc_ext package

0 Kudos
1 Solution
25 Replies
Kenny_Tan

where do you plan to put this get_register? Are you planning to put it in *.sdc? If yes, you may have to run timing analyzer to get the correct nodes.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

I am describing a module in which there are several clock signals, and several instances of this module are planned, operating at different frequencies. I am going to make a qip file with source code and SDS file, in which I want to describe data for correct time analysis. I would also like this description to be correctly taken into account by fitter
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

To find the correct nodes, what you can do is go to Timing analyzer -> Constrain -> set_multiclycle_path -> select the nodes that you want.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

EBoln_0-1603685628851.png

set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks {clk}] -group [get_clocks {vidi_clock}]

however, in the toplevel file, these clocks are named differently. And I would like to use this module in other projects. That is, create an IP core and just use

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If you want to name the clocks differently for timing analysis, in your clock constraints (create_clock or create_generated_clock), use the -name option.  This won't change their names in the design, however.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

What if I don't have access to the main design?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

It will be still the same, have to try to look for nodes by:

Timing analyzer -> Constrain -> set_multiclycle_path -> select the nodes

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any further queries?

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

Yes, how does set_multicycle_path help me do my path analysis correctly?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I think multicycle is just being given as an example of accessing one of the GUI dialog boxes to access the Name Finder tool.  There's no way to search for nodes in the timing netlist without going through one of these dialog boxes and I guess multicycle was selected just as an example.  You don't need multicycle for the design.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

even worse, I don't need a graphical interface. i want to describe in sdc

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

True, but the GUI dialog boxes make it easy to form SDC constraints with correct syntax and they're the only way to get to the Name Finder.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

that is, there is no analog of entity-bound SDC files for quartus std?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Can you describe more on the previous question?

Once you set multicylce, you should be able to open up timing analyzer to analyze for that path.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

Ok, how to describe this multiplexer correctly? But "my module" must be used in different projects, and i don't know whats clocks used on "Tol level"

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Usually, Multiplexer does not consist of a clock. Does your Mux have a clock? If no, you do not need to set any clock for it. Timing analyzer analyze the path from register to register, once you have a register, you should have a clock to be constraint.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

My multiplexer switches the clock. And to describe it, you need to describe the clock groups

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

yes, but clkA and clkB on Top, to which I have no access and I do not know anything about it

EBoln_0-1606725805892.png

0 Kudos