Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Fitter resource usage summary

Hi  

I get the following utilization in Fitter resource summary:  

that Clock pins - 3/2(150%) 

Dedicated Input pins 7/4 (175%) 

What does this exactly mean? Does this mean 3 clock pins are being used out of 2 and & dedicated pins are being used out of 4 But how can this be possible when there are 4 dedicated pins available or 2 clock pins available?? 

Is something going wrong?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

It suggests your design needs more input resources than the device you've selected has available. Without a little more context the consequence of this is difficult to judge. What device are you targeting and, roughly, what is your design trying to do? 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks Alex 

The device I am using has more I/O pins and the design only needs one clock pin; the fitter is choosing these pins for some reason I can always change them in Pin Planner to other User I/O pins and make the clock and dedicated pin free. I mean if it is not coming as Error(red) should this be a problem 

I don't understand if the device has only available two clock pins how can it use 3??
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

How far through compilation does the project get? Can you post some of the report files generated when you run through project through Quartus? The "{}.sta.rpt" & "{}.fit.rpt" should do. 

It's not clear from what you've written whether there's an issue. The fitter may chose to use dedicated clock input pins for non clock signals. 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi Alex 

Thanks very much. The compilation goes to 100 percent without error. 

I am not using any constraint files. I am using quartus ii 9.0 SP2 and I am not able to see any {}.sta.rpt file for some reason.Although I am attaching the {}.fit.rpt 

I/O pins ; 148 / 406 ( 36 % ) ; 

; -- Clock pins ; 3 / 2 ( 150 % ) ; 

; -- Dedicated input pins ; 7 / 4 ( 175 % )  

Thanks very much for all your help
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Alex 

Thanks very much. The compilation goes to 100 percent without error. 

I am not using any constraint files. I am using quartus ii 9.0 SP2 and I am not able to see any {}.sta.rpt file for some reason.Although I am attaching the {}.fit.rpt 

I/O pins ; 148 / 406 ( 36 % ) ; 

; -- Clock pins ; 3 / 2 ( 150 % ) ; 

; -- Dedicated input pins ; 7 / 4 ( 175 % )  

Thanks very much for all your help 

--- Quote End ---  

to me it is a reporting bug, unless tool has got super clever and we can't spot it. But I think 150% is more than 100%
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks Kaz 

Alex, however I am attaching {}tan.rpt (timing analyser report) instead of {}.sta.rpt. Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Have you tried running the assembler?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I agree with Kaz - this appears to be a reporting bug. The timing report has correctly identified one clock. 

Given the age of the family you're using I think it's pointless reporting it to Altera. 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks very much. I also thought so

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Out of interest, have you tried compiling the design with Max Plus 2? 

A few years ago when I had to modify a 15 year old Flex10k design, I tried porting it to Quartus 9. During the fitter it told me that some Ram configuration was illegal for the Flex, but it compiled without problems in Max Plus2. So I stuck with that.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

No not yet. Will do. 

One more thing. I am not able to find EPF10K100 which is a Flex10K device anywhere. I tried no. of altera software including max plus 2 but the last Flex10K device that I see is EPF10K70?? 

Cheers