Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Getting started resources for MAX 7000

CHess4
Beginner

Hi,

I am starting to develop with CPLDs, and​ when looking for basic MAX 7000 circuits, I don't find anything on the net. Is there a sample basic circuit for integrating a MAX 7000A into a schematic? Showing which connections have to be made for it to work? Or is there a schematics of a simple development board that I could copy from? I am using it in combinatorial mode without clock, with 3V3 inputs, and I would like to program it in-circuit using an ARM microcontroller that is part of the same circuit or external JTAG programmer connected via pin header. I am using altium 16.

I will be using the 7032 or 7064 version with PLCC 1.27MM pitch package, as I am soldering the prototypes myself. Any link to beginners resources will be greatly appreciated. Especially to circuit design for integrating those CPLDs.

Thanks and best regards,

Chris (Germany)​

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
CHess4
Beginner
Hi, thank you, there are no schematics in that document. Where can I find sample schematics with power supply and in circuit programmability, ideally by a microcontroller?
0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Well the datasheet has all the info you need. It lists the VCC and GND pins and the VCC power supply requirements (ie, 3.3V +/- 10%). Programming is via JTAG pins TCK, TMS, TDI, TDO which would connect to GPIO pins on a microcontroller and/or a connector for use with an Altera ByteBlaster programming adapter. All the other I/Os are 5V tolerant and connect to whatever devices you want. I don't know what else a schematic could show you?

0 Kudos
CHess4
Beginner
Then I guess it is easier than I thought… I am integrating it into a PCB without being able to test it on a breadboard first. Still, it is redundant to the 74xx logic I have on the board already, so it is not a catastrophy if it doesn’t work in the next PCB version. If I’m using it for combinatorial mode, I don’t need an oscillator, right, and apart from the decoupling caps (0.1µF) I just need standard protection for IO and take care about fanout and current limits I guess. Is there a way to have 5V output with 7000A? I am using 3V3 mostly but have WS2812b LEDs that need 5V for data. Until now I’m using a level shifter (74LS245). Do I need to connect JTAG to an UART / SPI / I2C port of my µC (STM32) or will any GPIO ports do? Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

If you are not using any clocked FFs then you don't need a clock source and can operate purely combinatorial logic.

For sure you need to understand the max current drive limits for the I/Os. Datasheet will tell you the limits.

The 7000A series is 3.3V supply and I/O voltage, but the I/Os are 5V tolerant. So you can add a pullup to +5V tied to an output if need be.

JTAG is its own protocol (NOT the same as UART/SPI/I2C). So unless you have a JTAG knowledgeable master (like an Altera ByteBlaster) you will have to connect the JTAG pins to standard I/O ports on your micro, and then write the code that simulates the JTAG protocol. Be aware however that writing the code on a micro that does low level JTAG (ie, bit banging TCK/TMS/TDI/TDO correctly) is just a very small part of the problem. Writing all the code that implements full device programming thru JTAG is a whole other significant project. Old Altera used to supply source code for such a function (the old JAM STAPL player) but I don't know if that is still around now that Intel has assumed control.

Personally I would recommend getting an Altera USB Blaster clone (Terasic has a nice one that is 100% Altera compatible that is inexpensive).

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi chris,

Unfortunately, we not have any MAX 7000 dev kits anymore.

We can find datasheets and pin-out tables from below link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/literature/lit-m7k.html

You can find other CPLD kit information from below link

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/all-development-kits.html

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos