Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK App Preview does not open on my Android mobile

SERGIO_A_
Beginner

Hello Intel team,

I just installed the Intel XDK App Preview ​from the google play store, but when it finishes installing i tried to open the APP and the main logo "APP PREVIEW" appears for about one second and suddenly the application get closed. So it is not opening on my mobile. Please help me solve this issue.

My mobile description: Asus ZenFone 2 Deluxe, Android 6.0.1

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shahab_L_Intel
Employee

Does your app work on the XDK simulator? If you just use a sample app from XDK, can you run it on App Preview on your phone?

0 Kudos
SERGIO_A_
Beginner
Hello, i am not trying any aplication that i have done. My problem is when i am trying to open the "Intel XDK App Preview" on my mobile, and it is not working.
0 Kudos
Anthony_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Sergio-

Shahab let me know about the issue you are having.
I'm the lead developer for App Preview and I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

We've tested on a lot of Android 6.0.1 devices and haven't directly seen this sort of crash occur.
Therefore, I think it might be specific to your device, the Asus Zenfone Deluxe 2.
Unfortunately, we do not have an Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe running 6.0.1 available to test with, so I don't have a way to investigate directly.

That being said, I have a suggestion for you to try and I'd also like some more information if possible that might help us figure this out:

1. We've had reports in the past that App Preview may crash on Asus Zenfone 2 (non-deluxe) when it is not enabled by OEM apps typically named "Power Manager" or "Auto-start Manager". Try enabling App Preview in the Asus "Auto-start Manager" app on your device, then run it again and see if it still crashes. On an Asus ZenFone 2 that is running Android 5, you'll find the "Auto-start Manager" in the Android Settings under "Power management" with a description like "Free more memory and save power." The precise name of that app and the location of it in the Android settings may vary depending on the version you have installed (our instructions are for an English language Android 5 Asus ZenFone).

2. You stated that you have Android 6.0.1.  Are you using Asus or third-party firmware for this?  We don't have a Zenfone 2 Deluxe, but we do have a Zenfone 2.  However, as far as we know the latest firmware is Android 5.x.  If you can point us to the firmware you are using and there is a version for Zenfone 2, it might help us to reproduce this issue so that we can investigate further.

3. App Preview should write error messages to Android's built-in logging utility called logcat.  There are a couple ways that you can see output from logcat.  You could install the command line tools or you could install Android Studio and view logcat messages in there.  Either way, you'll need to enable USB debugging on the device running App Preview, then connect it via USB to your development machine with the tools installed.  With the device connected, either start the command line tool ('adb logcat') or switch to the logcat view in Android Studio.  Then start App Preview, wait for it to crash and some relevant messages should be written to logcat.  Save the logcat output to a text file and attach it to a post on here.  This might give us more information about what is happening to cause the crash.

Again, sorry about this and thanks in advance for any additional information that you might provide to us!
Tony

0 Kudos
SERGIO_A_
Beginner

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late response.

Here is my answer to all your suggestions:

1) About your first suggestion i already tried it but it is still not working.

2) I am using the Asus original firmware, but two months ago i had to send my mobile for warranty to Asus and when they sent it back to me, they updated the firmware to this version, i assume it is well tested in the device. Please see the attachment with the "Firmware_Info".

3) Please see the attachment with the "Logcat_Info"

Regards.

​Sergio

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sergio -- I've alerted Tony, unfortunately, he's out sick today, so may not get a reply until next week. Unfortunately, I don't know what to look for in that logcat file, so we have to wait for Tony. --Paul

0 Kudos
Anthony_H_Intel
Employee

Sergio-

Thanks for the extra information.

I looked through the logcat output and the relevant part is:
03-02 22:46:25.430 13299-13299/? D/JsMessageQueue: Set native->JS mode to OnlineEventsBridgeMode
...removed irrelevant messages...
03-02 22:46:26.010 13299-13349/? I/art: System.exit called, status: 1

It appears that App Preview starts normally, then abruptly exits with no error messages in the log.
Normally there would be some other error message that would help provide a clue about what is happening, but in this case I don't see anything like that in the log.

Are you having similar trouble with any other apps on your Asus ZenFone 2 Deluxe?

Tony

Update:
I'm wondering if there is a problem with a specific native library that App Preview depends on.  If you have time, I'd be interested in seeing what native libraries are being installed by App Preview on your device.  You can check this using an app called Native Libs Monitor.  I'd be most interested in the section titled "Native Libraries installed" - a screenshot of the app running with the App Preview details open would work.

Update2:
If you'd prefer not to install an app and you have adb, you should be able to get the same information via command line:
$ adb shell ls /data/app/com.intel.html5tools.apppreview-1/lib
$ABI
$ adb shell ls -l /data/app/com.intel.html5tools.apppreview-1/lib/$ABI
total 5840
-rwxr-xr-x 1 system system 2980744 2016-07-18 17:09 libSecurityServices.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 system system    5440 2016-07-18 17:09 libsr_agent_o.so

You'll need to use the output from the first command to replace $ABI in the second command ($ABI is a placeholder - the real output should be armeabi, armeabi-v7a, arm64-v8a, x86 or x86_64).

0 Kudos