Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7458 Discussions

7260ac windows 10 bluetooth not working. It shows an unknown bluetooth device in control panel. Also i noticed the personal area network has a # 2 on the end. I suspect that is the issue but after trying different 8.1 and at one point win10 driver...

kfaul2
New Contributor I

7260ac windows 10 RTM, bluetooth not working, wifi is fine. It shows an unknown bluetooth device in control panel. I Also noticed the personal area network under network adapters has a # 2 on the end almost like it was phantom'd or something. I checked my original registry in windows.old and it was called just "personal area network". I suspect that is the issue, but after trying different 8.1 drivers, uninstalling reinstalling and at one point win10 drivers (now not available on intel site anymore) i am at a loss. Error in device manager details says this "Device BTH\MS_BTHBRB\7&367f4efd&1&1 requires further installation."

63 Replies
RDoll
Novice

I am having the exact same problem after upgrading fro Windows 7 professional to Windows 10.

Installed the driver, tried to pair to my wireless keyboard and mouse they appeared in the list and clicked pair on each and then they disappeared and now cannot use wireless mouse or keyboard.

The PC is a HTPC and as such is a long way away from where I sit and the wired keyboard and mouse I am having to use at the moment is a no go. I don't really want to attempt a clean install of the OS as it may not fix the problem and I would have just wasted countless hours.

Intel please can you tell me if going to the effort of doing a clean install of Windows 10, i.e. not an upgrade, will fix this problem or should I just wait until you can resolve this?

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

Has anyone installd KB3081424 cumulative and tried to reinstall Bluetooth drivers? I saw in the file list several Bluetooth related files. I have no had a chance to update my laptop yet, hopefully it will address it.

0 Kudos
RDoll
Novice

I have applied that update and it has made a slight difference. It still says unknown device, but it now says

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

and my instance path is "BTH\MS_BTHBRB\7&368D276&2&1"

I tried removing all the drivers and installing again but this made no difference.

0 Kudos
RAn2
Novice

I have these words in Device Manager as Unknown Device

(Translated) "Due to problem in this device, Windows has stopped it. Code 43"

"Fail to request USB device descriptor"

Under Detail tab, when choosing "Hardware ID", it says

"USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE"

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello BiOgErM,

If the Bluetooth* device of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC7260 is not detected properly after using the driver 17.1.1529.1613 linked before, then it may indicate that the OS did not upgrade the Bluetooth* component properly.

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® from previous OS versions are not compatible with Windows 10*, and the OS normally uninstalls them before upgrading with the Dynamic Update Service* from Microsoft*; if they are not removed properly, it may prevent the device from working correctly after the OS upgrade. Considering this, there are some options:

1. If the problem was originated during the Windows* upgrade, it may be better to do a clean install of Windows* 10.

2. Rollback to the previous Windows* version, then manually uninstall Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® as well as other Intel® Wireless Software before upgrading again to Windows* 10.

3. Wait for future Bluetooth* drivers from the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support, or from Intel. Take into account that if the problem is in the Operating System, a driver update may not be able to resolve it.

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply but I can't accept clean install as the answer. Bluetooth is hardware and drivers that is it. what would be nice is an outline of what inf and sys files intel expects windows 10 to use and provide then we can compare. I did see in the add generic drivers today the bth and other Microsoft Bluetooth offerings so it is possible that removing everything and saying add driver and manually select generic usb Microsoft may install the correct components but it is hard to say. I believe it is driver issue and even if the upgrade left it as is drivers can be swapped inf files can be removed, if we knew what to look for and what version. Considering a 3rd party stack works on mine I know it has to be specific to the drivers the card is trying to use.

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

anyone have pictures of what a working 7260ac Bluetooth looks like in windows 10. I mean the device manager entries under Bluetooth the drivers it is using and inf files? I truly believe their is an issue with the drivers and am curious what a working one looks like. I have tried everything and it just will not work with the provided drivers. Wireless is fine just Bluetooth is the issue.

0 Kudos
RAn2
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

To make sure it is ABSOLUTELY not because of upgrade. I bought a new SSD drive and installed windows 10 FRESHLY. The same problem showed up even after installed the drivers you recommended.

faulkkev this time I installed with English so here is the screen shot:

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

My error is different and regarding the bth driver. My USB appears to be ok. Is your wifi card USB based. Mine is mini PCI express. I do have a USB

0 Kudos
TValj
Beginner

My 7260ac based bluetooth worked out of the box after the installation though I did update the drivers after going from Windows 8.1 to 10.

0 Kudos
RDoll
Novice

After much playing around I got the driver search to check my entire hard drive for a driver and got this result. It still does not work but it's something to go on.

0 Kudos
RDoll
Novice

It is definitely the "Bluetooth Enumerator" that I am missing and it is surely what this "Unknown Device" is.

0 Kudos
RDoll
Novice

I have noticed that the device ID of the 7260ac, "USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC", is excluded in the bth.inf file if you copy the file, remove the exclusion and point the update driver from device manager at this new file it recognises the device but fails due to file copy errors as well as signature errors etc.

Intel can you please provide the simple inf file etc required so that the Bluetooth Enumerator device can install?

0 Kudos
RAn2
Novice

The ultimate solution is here:

I fresh installed windows 7, which has known working AC 7260 Bluetooth driver. So installed the driver and the Bluetooth seems working with it. Reboot a couple of times to make sure the BT works. Then fresh installed windows 10, it was the same problem as I posted before. Then I installed the same BT driver provided before, rebooted a couple of times and it magically worked. Somehow the link to download wireless wifi driver is broken so I didn't even installed that.

Then, I switched the SSD and booted my previous windows 10 on which bt doesn't ever worked. After it booted up, BT works!

I seems that the hardware itself have some sort of storage unit that keeps old not working data which blocks the installation. Installing windows 7's driver seems cleared it up.

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

that Is very interesting that it worked. I can't imagine is uses some sort of solid state for writing information too but maybe it does. This was a good clue as to the root cause. I thought at first it was the upgrade now I see there is more to it than that. I may try and load win7 drivers in win10 to reproduce your efforts then update to the windows 10. I am not reloading from scratch yet I have so many tools and other items on my pc it would be very painful. I may try it later tonight and see if that somehow resolves the issue like your notes suggest.

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

Here is what my device manager looks like maybe someone can post what theirs looks like and I may be able to add the driver.

0 Kudos
TValj
Beginner

Here's how my device manager looks:

0 Kudos
kfaul2
New Contributor I

Is yours broke or working? I need a working example and likely the bth enum key I suspect that the Intel driver is not cleanup or associating correctly. I think mine is trying to add the device twice, but I won't know for sure until I see a device manager that Bluetooth works on using a 7260ac card.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

faulkkev,

We have noticed that during the Windows 10* upgrading process, the Windows Dynamic Update should remove the old drivers and install the inbox drivers that come together as part of the process. Unfortunately, the old drivers are not being removed and when Windows tries to install the new drivers it shows unknown Bluetooth Device. Try remove the drivers manually and use Windows update to search for the new drivers again.

0 Kudos
TValj
Beginner

faulkkev: my bt works fine and worked straight after the update. My issue was with the wireless networking part not being able to update the drivers. That issue was resolved with the latest driver set. But the connections both on bluetooth and wireless worked and are still working. I have no unknown devices or anything with an error.

0 Kudos
RDoll
Novice

Do you mean search out and manually delete the .sys and .dll files etc; if so can you provide a list of them all?

Or do you mean just go into device manager and select uninstall and say yes to remove the drivers?

Or do you mean something else?

Can you provide a more detailed instruction?

0 Kudos