Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7492 Discussions

AX200 - bluetooth disconnection with multiple game controllers

claudspeed
New Contributor I

I have a Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H (from 2021), with Intel Wifi-6 AX200 160MHz card with integrated bluetooth, driver: 22.190.0.4 (from 23/11/2022), OS: Windows 11.

Using an external bluetooth dongle I can connect any number of bluetooth controllers (joypads) of different or same manufacturer.

If I use the intel bluetooth AX200 card integrated in the Legion 5 pro I'm only able to connect one controller. If I connect another the first one disconnects.

No problem on other laptops I've tried with the same controllers.

Other users have complained about this here, but you ignored them.

This IS clearly a driver bug. I am a software engineer, btw.

Can you escalate and try to have this fixed asap, please?

129 Replies
will6
New Contributor III
Welcome to the club. All AX cards are affected.

There is no fix atm.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Guess it will work fine. I'm using tplink ones and they work fine.

Although most BT dongles will need a little USB extension cable if you get bad signal. At least on desktop PC. 

0 Kudos
Tommysonic5
Novice

AX200 here, on MSI Meg x570 Ace.

I only have one dualsense controller but I have been trying to find the cause of audio cut-outs in games for weeks now. I narrowed it down to the combination of dualsense controller + bluetooth headphones. No audio cut-outs with xbox controller + headphones.

I've updated firmware on the dualsense, and the AX200 has latest drivers too. I might have to give those 2019 drivers a try for the AX200 as a last resort. I really hope this driver bug can get fixed one day.

Windows 11 Pro
MSI Meg x570 Ace (latest drivers and bios)
AMD 5800x 
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (latest drivers)
32GB 3600MHz CL14 RAM
WD Black SN850 SSD

Edit: I confirm that old drivers do not have the issue. After a long time of troubleshooting and manually deleting AX200 drivers from Windows32\drivers and FileRepository directories to prevent automatic installation, I was able to uninstall the wifi/bluetooth drivers long enough to downgrade to the 2019 drivers 21.0.0.4.  I got a different, longer audio cut-out after pairing to my controller and headphones using Windows 11 'multimedia device' profile. After removing and re-pairing to the standard bluetooth profile for my headphones I was able to play for over an hour without audio issues.

will6
New Contributor III

Thats the only fix. Use a 4 years old driver.

Sadly that driver only works on AX200. No other AX card support that driver. So we are not sure if newer AX cards have some HW limitations and the driver was adapted to those cards or it´s just a driver bug. AX201 and on never had a working driver. When they introduced all that cnvi trash.

will6
New Contributor III
Another driver was released on Asus forums

Please report back.
Tommysonic5
Novice

Thanks for the update. I do see 22.230.0.2 drivers on ASUS forums, but don't want to install new drivers since there isn't a changelog yet and Intel hasn't acknowledged the issue in the first place-- so I doubt it's fixed.

In case anyone is wondering, those really old drivers 21.0.0.4 are still working flawlessly for me on AX200 desktop PC with multiple BT devices (Dualsense and headphones). No more audio cut-outs. It's pretty amazing that Intel Support would continue to 'no longer monitor' this thread even after all the replies here.

Specs:
Windows 11 Pro
MSI Meg x570 Ace (latest drivers and bios) - AX200 wifi/bt
AMD 5800x  (latest chipset)
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (latest drivers)
32GB 3600MHz CL14 RAM
WD Black SN850 SSD
Dualsense controller + headphones connected by BT

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Can you guys tell me what Laptops you're using and what intel card you do have? 

I'm still in contact with an Intel engineer over emails, but he can't reproduce the issue on all the laptops he tried. I swear this is ridiculous.

I even made a video for them, send them bluetooth logs, but they're not able to see any useful logs so far.

elliopitas
Novice

my laptop is XMG neo 17m21 with Killer 1650i card

0 Kudos
FixOurBluetooth
Beginner

It is not just a Windows driver issue, but a hardware one (maybe firmware).

I'm on linux and had issues with the AX211 (also called AX211NGW 8087:0033) where I could connect up to three or sometimes four controllers at the same time, then it would disconnect 1 or 2 controllers to connect the next one.

Also, just with two controllers, you might get some kind of interferences, one controller would stop responding for some moments, or inputs being laggy.

To verify this was not due to linux, I installed Windows 11 with the latest driver, and I can't connect more than one controller at the same time.

The same controllers are working fine (I tested up to 7 controllers at the same time) on my Raspberry PI 4 that sits at the same position.

will6
New Contributor III
Good to know is not only windows.

This cards are os independently trash.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Drivers on Asus forum are whql too. No changelog, but can't get worst that the actual situation. Or can get?

I don't try them anymore since I disabled this card.

All AX cards have this problem, built in or add in cards.

They won't fix or recognize anything. Look what they did with the faulty ethernet cards.

I have Asus B460, B560, B660, Z590, Z690. All have this problem.

Since this thread isn't monitored I recommend just opening threads and linking here. Without any more info. All info is here.

will6
New Contributor III
New driver released on Intel site (seem older than the one from the Asus forum)

Changelog is some kind of bad joke I guess.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
It's about time to fix this?

Or maybe another year?
0 Kudos
elliopitas
Novice

Got the tp-link UB5A  and it has been working fine.

1 ms 1 controller 2 ms 2 2-3ms 3 4-5ms 4.

played for 5 hours with a friend 2 controllers with my laptop being quite a distance away (was in a lecture hall) and we had 0 problems or lag

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
Sure. I use that one too. Tplink ones works fine. Unless you got a tplink with Intel chipset.

The only ones that can't handle more than one controller. Lol. What a pos.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
New driver was released on Intel site.

Changelog is another big joke. But you can try it. Please report back.
0 Kudos
darkr
Beginner
Version: 22.230.0.2 Release date: June 20, 2023 Size: 47.27 MB

No luck, still disconnects

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
A new one was released on Asus forum

Please report any findings.
0 Kudos
AllanF
Novice

I am Brazilian and have a acer nitro 5 AN517-54, I have this TRASH intel BT + WIFI adapter (intel killer ax1650i), when i conect one controller, works great, but when connect a second controller, i have disconnection. intel says this adapter is gamer, but not holds two controller? Is a joke?

I need buy a external adapter for use two simple dualsense controllers? 

INTEL FIX THIS DRIVER, THE PROBLEM IS YOURS !! NOT IS WINDOWS, NOT IS CONTROLLER, NOT IS ACER, THE PROBLEM IS YOURS!

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
Yes. You need to buy a better BT device. Or wait for them to fix it.

BTW there is a new driver on Asus forum

You can give it a try and report back.
0 Kudos