Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7492 Discussions

AX200 - bluetooth disconnection with multiple game controllers

claudspeed
New Contributor I

I have a Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H (from 2021), with Intel Wifi-6 AX200 160MHz card with integrated bluetooth, driver: 22.190.0.4 (from 23/11/2022), OS: Windows 11.

Using an external bluetooth dongle I can connect any number of bluetooth controllers (joypads) of different or same manufacturer.

If I use the intel bluetooth AX200 card integrated in the Legion 5 pro I'm only able to connect one controller. If I connect another the first one disconnects.

No problem on other laptops I've tried with the same controllers.

Other users have complained about this here, but you ignored them.

This IS clearly a driver bug. I am a software engineer, btw.

Can you escalate and try to have this fixed asap, please?

129 Replies
claudspeed
New Contributor I

I've been sending Intel engineers logs for the past 4 months, following their instructions. They're not able to reproduce It so far. No clue how that's possible.

I will update you guys in case of any news, but It's safe to say that this will probably never be solved... The sad part is OEMs won't give you your money back for the broken laptop they're selling, so you'll have to live with It or find a compatible card that is not intel preferably.

It's a shame that Youtubers and professional reviewers are not even testing this basic stuff when recommending laptops. Lesson learned I guess...

elliopitas
Novice
Guess we are stuck with dongles. Good job intel.
My tp-link UB5A works perfectly
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

The should issue a refund. Or a recall. 

After waiting for three years we can conclude this cards are faulty.

0 Kudos
AllanF
Novice

I'm already doing a dossier and gathering evidence to file a lawsuit against intel.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Official driver was updated too on Intel site.

Changelog is empty. Lol. Report back if you try.

0 Kudos
Nakano
Beginner

I just got my first PS5 Dualsense controller and run into this problem... I wanted to link PS5 and PS4 controller to Bluetooth at the same time. It was surprising to notice that PS4 controller gets disconnecting. I started with 22.160.0.4.

Then I upgraded to the latest 22.240.0.2 through Windows Update, but same problem.

What I didn't test to is to figure out how to downgrade to 22.160.0.3 that my Motherboard for TUF Gaming X570 Plus WI-FI has on their site: https://www.asus.com/fi/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi/helpdesk_download/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI

But since I have Steam Link, I left PS5 controller mapped to PC/Intel Bluetooth. To Steam Link I mapped 1x PS4 controller and 4x PS3 controllers without an issue. Tested with 8 Player Towerfall. I would say it's time for Intel to invest purchasing two PS5 controllers and start solving the widespread issue that has lasted years.

will6
New Contributor III

The problem is so obvious, that it so obvious too that they never tried two PS5 controllers. Or tried and dont want to tell the cards are faulty.

Good to see motherboards manufacturers started avoiding this trash on new products.

Go realtek or go home.

0 Kudos
AnniH
Novice

So, I ran into this fault with a brandnew Omen Transcend 16 with an AX211. I don't have any hope, that Intel get this problem fixed after 5 years now.

I go to replace that m.2-card. What should I choose, what do you think ;-)? Qualcomm QCNFA765 or Realtek RTL8852AE.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

New driver was released. Changelog better but guess it wont solve anything

Description of Key Issue
With some classic Bluetooth® mice being used along with streaming media on Bluetooth® earphones it has
been observed that the mouse pointer drifts randomly; mostly when connected to 2.4 Ghz network band.
Improvements to connectivity with some Bluetooth® devices in certain scenarios.

There is no way to tell which m2 card could work for you. Also 211 is probably CNVI not m2. And CNVI afaik are only intel ones atm.

Better use a usb bt dongle.

AnniH
Novice

Thanks for your advice. I didn't even know that CNVi exists. It seems that some boards supports E-Key and CNVi so I'll give it a try.

Edit: I tested the new version (22.250.0.2), same behavior as before. As soon as I connect a third controller, the other two controllers are immediately disconnecting.

will6
New Contributor III
AnniH
Novice

Tested 23.0.0.10, no fix.

will6
New Contributor III

Guess it will never be fixed then.

Tried a dualsense and a BT headset. A nightmare. Impossible to use.

Best this trash can do is one DS5 or if you are lucky 2 DS4.

0 Kudos
AnniH
Novice

Good news for owner of a Omen Transcend 16. The wifi-slot is an common m.2-slot. I've replaced that AX211 with an Realtek RTL8852CE (Wifi 6e, BT 5.3) and it works like charm. I can connect 3 controllers, a headset and a BT-audiomodule simultaneously and get no disconnects.

AllanF
Novice
Thanks for the tip, I am Brazilian and have a acer nitro 5, with i7 11800h + rtx 3050 + 16gb 3200mhz, and I found this adapter in AliExpress, probably I buy I this month for my laptop.
AnniH
Novice

Yes, give it a try. I've got mine from ebay, shipped from Shenzhen.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Nice report. Realtek is the way to go.

BTW opened a new thread to have response from intel

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Bluetooth-disconnection-multiple-gamepads-AX200-AX201-AX210/m-p/1531429

will6
New Contributor III

They are well aware about this issue and they arent able to resolve it. Thread was closed in one day. So there is little to no hope about a fix.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hi guys,

I bring promising news, I think It's finally happening!
After 8 months of me sending logs to intel engineers, they finally did It! In the latest debug driver version they sent me to test (23.20.23413.26747), the issue seems to be finally fixed! I tried connecting 3 controllers together (Dualsense, Switch Pro and Dualshock 3) and they work at stable latency like in the old 21.0.0.4 driver.

I'm not sure when they're going to release the fix to the public though.

I'll let you know when I know more

Cheers!

will6
New Contributor III

Great to know!

Does this forum support PMs? I think it doesn't. You can share by PM on Asus forum. If you have user there, just let me know

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@will6   This forum has PMs.  Click on your profile avatar and select messages.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]