Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7455 Discussions

Slow speeds with Wireless N 7260 after update.

AKeyz
Beginner

I have a 60Mbps connection at home and with the 7260 card I used to get up to 56Mbps through my laptop but since driver version 16.6.0.8 I can only ever get a maximum of 25Mbps. Nothing else has changed, I use all the same settings and even tried newer beta drivers. I have rolled back to 16.5.3.6 as this was the last driver that would provide the correct speeds however this driver suffers from drop outs and every few hours I have to switch the wifi card off and on again as it drops to a few Kbps.

Can anyone please help?!intspeed

0 Kudos
64 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi BigT, I am sorry you are experiencing such issues.

Our engineering team is currently working on a new driver but while this is happening you may want to optimize your wireless network as suggested in the articles below. This will improve the Intel® WiDi connection too.

Remember you can also disable uAPSD in the adapter properties in case this causes trouble.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm Wireless Networking — How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031509.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Possible interference by other wireless devices may impact 802.11n performance

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Access Point (AP) firmware updates may resolve wireless network issues

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

Joe, I asked you some questions via PM but never received an answer. Consequently, I feel it is in everyone's interests that I ask my questions here:

1. Please can you admit to me that Intel cannot fix the problem with the wifi adapter turning itself off due to a fault with its power saving and I can then proceed to replace the faulty adapter myself. Unfortunately, the replacement adapter I had in mind is also Intel chipset based, since it is the only other model that is compatible with my laptop, due to NGFF form factor and BIOS restrictions.

2. If Intel are unable to prevent the wifi adapter shutting down, please tell us now. Several months of driver development have failed to resolve the problems and if it is the case that a fundamental flaw in the 7260 design leads to the corollary that no driver can fix the issue, please tell us so that we are not wasting our times waiting for driver updates, which quite frankly are workarounds and I have strong evidence that these drivers are workarounds. If you can give us an honest answer, then we can all take proactive action. Failure to give me an answer within a reasonable time limit will be enough reason for me to believe that Intel will never find a way around a possible design flaw within the hardware.

3. Please can you give me information on the difficulties that the developers have experienced, being clear and precise in the information you provide. Are there any technical documents you wish to share with me, for example?

I don't want to keep reading apologies from yourself and Intel. I've seem them enough and I am sure you are sincere about the apologies. What I want to see is precisely what the issues are and how they will be resolved. Constantly apologising and promising new drivers (or workarounds) does not instill confidence that the issues will be resolved. However, giving me a technical briefing of the exact issues and how (if at all possible) Intel will tackle these issues will at least give us all a clearer indication of what is happening.

Thanking you, in anticipation....

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

Im also cursed with the intel 7260 wireless for my dell inspiron 15 7000 laptop. Been having a lot of issues lately and just updated to the most recent version....big mistake.Went from 10mb download speed to about 0.2 mb :/ Trying to hunt down the 16.5.3.6 driver(i think) that would work for my system.Not even gonna be updating the wifi anymore.Unless its a windows 8.1 issue but idk.

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3716&DwnldID=23628&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Dual+Band+Wireless-N+7260&DownloadType=Software+Applications&OSFullname=Windows+8.1%2c+64-bit*&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3716&DwnldID=23628&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Dual+Band+Wireless-N+7260&DownloadType=Software+Applications&OSFullname=Windows+8.1%2c+64-bit*&lang=eng

hi aden22 I got fed up and finally ended in these drives on intelz websites and I think they are pretty stable.

Version:

wel lbest way to test these drivers practically is to have a 1080p movie on and networked computer and vlc player. watch it. well on bad drivers when vlc loses data it repeats a few last frames in loop until it gets new data from the same file.

so setup is one computer attached to the wireless has 1080p , preferred non wireless attached to the wireless router. and vlc player on your computer and enjoy the movie

with 16.10.0 there is a hitch ever 30 or 40 minutes but doesn't last long. I have been using computers since ql Sinclair and bbc micro s. grew up on dos. I have never in my life seen so error ful technology being made in hast just to stay in competition and sell something new. why doesn't Intel accept the fact that these chips are faulty and may be its some batch version. I am sure 7260 must be having lots or generations produced.

Intel should call back the faulty ones and replace them or people will get then done themselves.

Or

Intel is lousy in making drivers.

now I am seeing so many websites and see here too . so many people are having troubles. Intel wake up.

any one out here tried this card on 3rd gen. processor......

??

may be 4th gen intel and intel all latest ones are faulty. that's why all latest ntel laptops I have with 4th gen crash like win xp with BSOD ( your pc ran into problems....)))

any ways lets concentrate on wireless only first.......

so bad drivers

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

Thanks for the download link. I installed that one,but didnt have much luck with the download speed getting any better.Im at 16.5.1.6 which works but still really slow.It is strange cause when i first got this laptop, i dont think i had issues besides the random disconnects and having it not auto connect when i turn on my laptop.Also tried the the oldest dell driver and still have issues.Maybe my card is going bad idk.Don't think i have any other option besides intel but was looking into the intel 7260 HMWG in hope there is less problems than this one.

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

well did you flush out the latest drivers. I mean what I did was I uninstalled the latest drivers and then went uninstalling drivers from the device manager. and I made sure proset was out and checked the user folder for it to be gone completely. restart pics up automatically some latest one but happy to be without proset and then shift the drivers manually to 16.10.0. once you have made setup the driver goes in the win cache for drivers so all necessary files are already there. make sure you switch of all power management for the card and in the power management current scheme chosen chose use wireless adapter settings then power saving and on battery and non battery mode put it to maximum performance.

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

I uninstalled everything including proset and the driver rolled back to (16.5.3.6) which i thought was the optimum driver.(now just using the default driver and no proset installed)Power options are set to maximum as well that i changed in 'power options'.Still i get very slow speeds.I still have my alfa network usb card and that works fine.Before i reinstalled win 8.1 i was having problems with both for some reason.Now this usb one works no problem but my internal is still not working good at great.Havent messed with the settings with device manager so everything should be mostly original.Just strange because it worked no problem when i first got the laptop about 3 months ago.I will try to get it dow to 16.10.0 and see how it goes.thanks

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

what wireless router have you got??? well lets see what intel does with drivers and I an not having any hopes from them. just work arounds only. I am also not getting very excellent transfer speeds but well its stable and connects at 300mbps on tplink routers and drops till 180 and keeps doing that. up and down. but it does not disconnect. and I have a digisol router too.. digisol has broadcomm chipsets.. well a lot has to do with t he 4 the gen processor. we integrate high end systems for manufacturing industry. asus mobo with i7 4th gen. asus mobo has realtek lan card on board and it kept disconnection cross sign while all other systems' were fine and finally all the power managements had to be disabled related to lan card and then it started working fine.

so in my general outlook to the whole techlonlogy is that the haswell era with win 8 era is going bad for these guys. sufferers are us.

what system do you have ???

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

I have one of the newer comcast wireless n modem/router combo's. I was also at a house with the same thing and unfortunetly had the same problem.I figured a windows reinstall would fix things but for whatever reason its not.I hope intel does get there driver problem figured out soon.It seems like even with the new ones that come out there are still issues.I have a dell inspiron 15 7000 laptop.Core i5 4th gen.

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

I have been using 17.0.3.2 for nearly 3 weeks (well before it was made available on the Intel site). The issues regarding performance still existed and therefore I reverted back to version 16.5.3.6.

However, I have just disabled u-apsd and now achieve acceptable transfer speeds. I will continue to use the new driver 17.0.3.2 and monitor its stability and performance.

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

After trying driver 17.0.3.2 with u-apsd disabled, I report that this is still NOT ACCEPTABLE! INTEL MUST STOP USING WORKAROUNDS AND PROVIDE A WORKING SOLUTION OR REPLACE THE WIFI ADAPTERS IF THEY ARE INCAPABLE OF FIXING THE PROBLEMS!

The wifi still disconnects and I can see that the driver is coded in such a way that a reconnect is made immediately after a disconnection. The power saving features of the wifi adapter appear to be the cause of the issues and it appears Intel cannot find a solution. Version 17.0.3.2 is a workaround and not a fix and I am totally fed up with workarounds to a problem that Intel have failed to fix for many months. Version 17.0.3.2 is an improvement but I will not accept a workaround due to specific requirements. Most people may not notice this workaround, since the disconnection and reconnection is so quick as to appear seamless, but I certainly notice and I will not accept it!

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

Version 17.0.3.2 caused disconnections 3 times. It reconnected on the first 2 occasions (due to Intel's workaround which appears to hide the disconnection issues), but on the 3rd disconnection, it did not automatically reconnect again and I had to manual disable the adapter and re-enable it. Intel, if you want to use workarounds and fool us into thinking that the latest driver works, then at least make it reconnect 100% of the time! Having said that, the workaround in attempting reconnection is not acceptable. I am speaking to legal advisors at this very moment.

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

I shake my head in disbelief! The latest Windows 8.1 update disables the Intel 7260 Bluetooth! There were issues with Intel 7260 Bluetooth in the past but this really is ludicrous. GET YOUR POWER MANAGEMENT SORTED OUT! DO YOU HEAR ME?

EDIT: My mistake. The Bluetooth issues were caused by the Windows update to the Bluetooth stack. I had been using my own modified USB drivers prior to the update (due to a bug in Windows 8.1) and that was the cause of the Bluetooth being disabled.

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

The card seems to be working fine now for some reason.I got the program called 'Driver Booster' and said my drivers were old for the 7260.(previous ones i just installed) It updated it from the 16.1.10 driver to 17.0.3.2. Everything is working fine and getting good speeds for the moment.I will post back if anything changes.Also, i was at the latest driver previously with horrible results so i have no clue what changed to make it work.

EDIT:

Nope....false alarm.This has to be the most bi-polar card i have used so far.Was trying to play an online game and the connection would keep dying on me.Back to getting 1mb MAX download from the 25mb i just got 30mins ago. :/ I give up. Maybe they will sort out this driver issue one day but for right now im sticking with my External wifi adapter.

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

I know I tired the 17.0.3.2 earlier and has been messy. dell hasn't gone up from 16.1.10 so its best to use those drivers for now if we are using 2.4 ghz band. besides intel recommends that we use only drivers by the oem manufacturers. I think intel supplies them with slightly different cards according to specs.

0 Kudos
MBart6
Beginner

Try to disable u-apsd (works with 17.0.3.2)

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

If you go to network and sharing center and click on your wifi connection, you will see a dialog that shows your wifi status, such as Signal Quality, Connection Speed and so on. Leave that dialog on screen and leave the computer on for a while and check back from time to time. If the dialog is no longer shown, it indicates that the wifi had disconnected.

Intel, are you reading? This is evidential behaviour of the wifi disconnecting and although reconnection usually occurs very quickly, it is not acceptable. I used the word "workaround" many times, but there is no other word to describe it; this is a workaround as is the case with all previous versions of the 7260 wifi driver.

We need to continue to be more aggressive in our approach in putting pressure on Intel to reveal if it is the case that this is an unfixable solution and I am still waiting for answers. If Intel can provide an indication as to whether there is a fundamental flaw which causes difficulties in allowing the wifi adapter to function correctly, then at least say so. Many of us are not sure whether to wait for a fix or to buy a new wifi adapter.

Finally, if anyone has any information regarding possibilities of legal action against Intel, please provide further details.

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

I read from another post that disabling 'HT mode' in wireless properties would make it work.(along with the u-apsd that Barto mentioned) I also seen that disabling bluetooth can help with the signal interruptions. So at the moment i have all 3 disabled and have a slow but stable connection so far. Right now its been the only thing that has worked without kicking me off the internet or slowing down extremely slow.Does intel have these problem with the rest of the wireless cards? I really dont understand how such a big company cant get the drivers to work correctly.

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

aden I no longer believe its the drivers. its hardware. they messed up with 4th gen power saving techniques. and I am using what latest is with dell and I am installing from device manager no proset.

not happy but it works...

Intel-ligent in no longer that lol

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

I heard some of there older b-g wifi cards were rock solid, but this is just crazy to have this many problems on there newer stuff.This probably is a big design flaw like you said for why they is sooo many problems with this card.Would be nice if they just explained what the hell was going on exactly and either offer us something better as a replacement or some type of reimbursment. Suprised there isnt some type of class action lawsuit going on for this.

0 Kudos
MBart6
Beginner

We have 2 new releases of drivers. Has anyone tested?

0 Kudos