Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Quartus crashes crashes when open dialog box

Tarta
Beginner

Hi,

when attempting to save or open a project quartus prime 21.1 lite edition crashes.

It crashes in the moment the dialog box appear. 

I tried to uninstall and reinstall but it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShaneC
Beginner

At least on my machine Windows 11 this is caused by Microsoft OneDrive. 

Specifically when Microsoft OneDrive is set up to sync the "Desktop" folder.  If I disable syncing of the desktop folder it works!

Hope this helps somebody else.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you create a new project with the New Project Wizard?

If it always happens with a certain project, try deleting the project db and incremental_db folders.

0 Kudos
Tarta
Beginner
Yes, i can create a new project but i can’t save it or open an already existing one because quartus crashes
It happen with every project
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What OS?

I'd download the whole installation again.  Maybe a bad download.

0 Kudos
Tarta
Beginner
Windows 11, but i have a friend with the same problem on windows 10.
I’ve already downloaded the whole installation again, uninstalled and installed several times but nothing
0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I am not able to duplicate the crash issue from my side. Saving and opening project work fine for me.

Quartus: Lite Edition 21.1.0 Build 842

Could you share the screenshot of the crash and the internal error log file if any?

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We could set up a call and you can share me the issue that you are facing.

Hope to get your reply soon.

Btw, do you see the same issue with Linux OS? 

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
ixg
Beginner

Richard,

The solution offered in this thread doesn't work for me.  I can't really turn off Desktop synching in OneDrive because it's managed by my organization, not by me.  I tried pausing OneDrive as well as quitting out of it but the same problem persists (Quartus crashes when I open "Open File" dialog box.  I run Quartus 21.1 on Windows 11.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
ixg
Beginner

This problem persists in Quartus 22.1 also.

0 Kudos
elad_UFX
Beginner

I have the same issue. (Windows 11 as well)

Ill add that it crashes whenever any dialogue box opens that uses the browser/explorer to find a file.

This includes (but is not limited to) saving, inserting a license, adding a file to programmer, adding verilog files, trying to open a project,...

Anything that opens a file browser causes the suite to crash.

a screenshot of an example:

open programmer:

elad_UFX_0-1648722374677.png

click on add file:

elad_UFX_1-1648722494125.png

The browser prompt doesn't respond for about 2/3 seconds and then crashes the entire suite (programmer/quartus/...).

I could not find an internal error log but I added the WER report (in the .7z below because you dont allow uploads of .wer)

Regards

Elad

0 Kudos
elad_UFX
Beginner

It seems that intel doesn't plan on supporting windows 11 until quartus 22.3 (maybe...)

Seeing as we're on 21.1, it looks like there's about a year until then

Quartus programmer not working on Windows 11 - Intel Communities

0 Kudos
ShaneC
Beginner

At least on my machine Windows 11 this is caused by Microsoft OneDrive. 

Specifically when Microsoft OneDrive is set up to sync the "Desktop" folder.  If I disable syncing of the desktop folder it works!

Hope this helps somebody else.

JCinVA
Beginner

Thank you, Shane, I can confirm that works. Windows 11. Remove Desktop from the OneDrive synch and the Open Project dialog will not crash.

0 Kudos
GregMaynard
Beginner

I confirmed this was my issue as well. For those not sure how to configure OneDrive for this:

1) From File Explorer, right click on OneDrive in the Navigation Pane (left side of window where My Computer is)

2) From context menu select OneDrive->Settings

GregMaynard_1-1660240168445.png

3) Click on the Backup tab and then Manage backup button

GregMaynard_2-1660240197836.png

4) Click the Stop backup link for Desktop and then click Stop Backup

GregMaynard_5-1660240304762.png

GregMaynard_4-1660240292373.png

5) Close the window, setting is now applied, Quartus should be good. This worked for me with version 21.1.

LV_ARG
Beginner

Working. Taking out "Desktop" of syncing with OneDrive stops crashing Quartus.

0 Kudos