Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

does quartus prime do logic optimization/minimization, like a+~a will be replaced by 1?

AYoun22
Beginner

I found that Quartus prime does not do any logic optimization/minimization compared to other synthesis tools like mentor's precision or synplify. I am using the lite edition and defaults in the project settings

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Quartus does a LOT of logic optimization. How can you say it 'does not do any optimization/minimization'? That is NOT my experience at all.

Logic functions (like A or not A) will be reduced to constants and folded into the equations. Logic that generates unused functions will be eliminated.

So I completely disagree with your statement.

0 Kudos
AYoun22
Beginner

i cannot agree:

module infer (

output wire q,

input wire a, b

);

assign q = (a & ~b) | (a & b);

endmodule

q in this equation should = a, but here is the net schematic:

net.png

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The resource utilization can be optimized by using different setting in compiler as below:

Click Assignments ➤ Settings ➤ Compiler Settings ➤ Advanced Settings (Synthesis)

You can select the optimized setting for your design.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Looks like you are using the 'RTL Viewer'. It displays your SOURCE RTL as a schematic. So it is displaying exactly what you entered, as expected.

If you want to see the effects of logic synthesis/optimization, open the POST MAPPING or POST FITTING views from that same menu.

0 Kudos
AYoun22
Beginner

it looks like this is the way. yes those views provide the optimized / final views.

thanks

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

"POST MAPPING or POST FITTING views from that same menu."

Referring to the Technology Map Viewer here instead of the RTL Viewer.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
AYoun22
Beginner
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Thanks

0 Kudos