Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AYoun22
Beginner

does quartus prime do logic optimization/minimization, like a+~a will be replaced by 1?

I found that Quartus prime does not do any logic optimization/minimization compared to other synthesis tools like mentor's precision or synplify. I am using the lite edition and defaults in the project settings

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor II

Quartus does a LOT of logic optimization. How can you say it 'does not do any optimization/minimization'? That is NOT my experience at all.

Logic functions (like A or not A) will be reduced to constants and folded into the equations. Logic that generates unused functions will be eliminated.

So I completely disagree with your statement.

AYoun22
Beginner

i cannot agree:

module infer (

output wire q,

input wire a, b

);

assign q = (a & ~b) | (a & b);

endmodule

q in this equation should = a, but here is the net schematic:

net.png

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The resource utilization can be optimized by using different setting in compiler as below:

Click Assignments ➤ Settings ➤ Compiler Settings ➤ Advanced Settings (Synthesis)

You can select the optimized setting for your design.

Thanks

ak6dn
Valued Contributor II

Looks like you are using the 'RTL Viewer'. It displays your SOURCE RTL as a schematic. So it is displaying exactly what you entered, as expected.

If you want to see the effects of logic synthesis/optimization, open the POST MAPPING or POST FITTING views from that same menu.

AYoun22
Beginner

it looks like this is the way. yes those views provide the optimized / final views.

thanks

sstrell
Honored Contributor II

"POST MAPPING or POST FITTING views from that same menu."

Referring to the Technology Map Viewer here instead of the RTL Viewer.

#iwork4intel

AYoun22
Beginner

yes, this works

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Thanks